Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LMan and I took our cars to Road Atlanta this past weekend to participate in the NASA High Performance Driving Experience (HPDE). LMan took his SVT Contour "Diet Cobra" and I took my 88 Mustang GT "Smarty Jones".

We received classroom instruction, and had an instructor assigned to us that rode shotgun. We had an absolute blast. At one time, I thought I had blown my engine, as it died and failed to restart, but gave a clunk. :( After it cooled, we discovered it was a seized air pump that wasn't being used anyway. In pure racing style, LMan, Torquewrench and I worked late into the evening gutting the air pump of its broken pieces, and getting the pulley to spin again. We were back racing Sunday. ::

I passed LMan on the backstretch and flipped him off as I passed on the right as a friendly gesture. After that session, his instructor wanted to know why I was mad at him! :)

I had two scary moments on track. The backstretch (120mph) leads to a long downhill gentle turn, but ends up at a right angle left turn. You have to downshift from 4th to 3rd while mashing the brakes to make it. My brakes were a bit warm late into the session, and my instructor was urging me to carry my speed further down the hill. Well, I made the turn, but the car got loose and it was high on the pucker factor for a few moments. The other was when I was cresting the hill under the Suzuki bridge headed for a highspeed turn 12, and my shoelace gets caught on the kickpanel fastener. I had to coast through turn 12 all the while trying to get it unstuck. I couldn't reach down to get it, so I just yanked it free. Panic is not a good thing while on the track. I tucked my laces in the rest of the weekend.

All-in-all, a great time was had, and LMan, Torquewrench and I really enjoyed ourselves.

Here's some pics from the NASA site
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2004Aug14/pics.shtml

and some of my pics
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/roadatlanta/
Notice the yellow Cobra giving me a point-by! Woohoo!

K

·
0 Posts
And I thought all your shoes were velcro. :D :D :D

Good read. Thanks for sharing. Were you on street tires? Was there a lot of drifting due to no traction?

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Funny that you mention shoe laces! I had a similar experience while getting my car ready for Tulsa, albeit very slow speed. I was in a parking lot, thankfully, and my shoe lace somehow got caught on my brake pedal, so couldn't get it over to the clutch. I had to mash the brake and let the car stall while I tried to free my shoelace! It was embarrassing to be sure, but definitely trained me to keep my shoelaces tucked in!!! Particularly on the track!

-bob

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Art's Victorian Tea Room & Chainsaw Repair?! ROTFL

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I was up there watching on Sunday. I had plans to run my car in the HPDE but had neck surgery this last Tuesday and can't drive for four weeks. If you saw the sap in the neck brace walking around on Sunday that was me. ::

I talked to most of the Mustang guys but I don't remember seeing your car.

Do you plan to make Roebling Road in September?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my sponsor. It's a nice place, but you have to be careful not to get chain oil on your bonnet.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't do Roebling as I have too many hobbies to commit to any of them anymore. I'm a fool for anything. Just tell me it's fun, invite me, and I'm hooked. Forget that I have no extra time or money...we'll just skip eating or sleep. ::

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nissan Sentra. Why do you ask? There are lots of 4 cylinder cars out there kicking serious butt. I took a ride in a 98 stock Mustang with a 15year experienced driver. We were flying. But we were also being passed regularly by VW GTIs and the likes that had serious suspension setups and good drivers.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Nissan Sentra. Why do you ask? There are lots of 4 cylinder cars out there kicking serious butt. I took a ride in a 98 stock Mustang with a 15year experienced driver. We were flying. But we were also being passed regularly by VW GTIs and the likes that had serious suspension setups and good drivers.
Well it looks like the bone stock nissans I see around here all the time with fancy wheels and wings...just wondering if it was really a track car or just rice...just seemed like an odd choice for a track car.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To me, rice is when you add go-fast components you have no way of taking advantage of. Looks to me that he's using everything he's got. Certainly not rice.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
MAN THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN!

I gots to get me a track whore. :(
I could answer that but I'd probally get banned ::

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Can't do Roebling as I have too many hobbies to commit to any of them anymore. I'm a fool for anything. Just tell me it's fun, invite me, and I'm hooked. Forget that I have no extra time or money...we'll just skip eating or sleep. ::
He will be there. I will shame/badger/cajole/bribe/SOMEthing him into it ;) ::

1 - 16 of 16 Posts