Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got a fish tank at a yard sale. It is complete with everything. I believe it is a 40 gallon, but I could be wrong. I want to give it a could theme design(PIRATES, Castles, scuba steve) but I dont know what. All you folks who have tanks can you show me a picture or give me some Ideas? Plus what are some good fish to get? I am leaning tword piranahs...lol. I need somthing thereaputic like this in my house! PLEASE HELP!!! :: ::

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well I am probably not the person you want to hear from right now.....I have a 48" by 24" by 24" tank. Tropical fresh water. I have had it established as a community tank for about 14 months with about 35 fish. They vary from bright Tetra's right through to full size (9") Discus...that is until last night.....I just can't believe the timing of your post...Oh the irony!
I had some trouble controlling the ammonia levels in the tank so I decided to 'blitz' it once and for all. I now have 1 fish, yep thats right 1, and about $600 worth of cat food lying on the bottom. ::
Now I'm thinking worm farm....must be real hard to kill those things..... ::

G

·
0 Posts
I recommend against piranha fish. Boring when they aren't eating and messy as hell. If you want a fish that'll get big, is an interesting eater, and has personality then get an oscar.

Of course what do I know? I've only got 1 small aquarium these days with a couple little goldfish. But it keeps the cats interested and it certainly does have a theme!
http://www.oldweakandpathetic.com/temp/DCP05341cs.jpg

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bodypainter is right - stay away from pirahanas - they are boring. Start off with a nice placostomous catfish, an oscar or two and some danios or something like that. Fish are limited to their environment, so they won't grow super big but 40 gallons ain't too bad.

P.S. - it ain't the "free" tank that gets you, it's all the accessories you gotta buy! Ouch!

Dave
:)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I have a 50 gallon Salt Water tank with one sole surviving Bumble Bee snail. I threw a lot of money at it trying to keep fish alive. :: I even got an Anthia to eat! When he died it just broke my heart. :( I might try fresh water next. Anyone want a badass Bumble Bee snail?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've got a 150 gallon Malawi Chichlid tank, a 125 planted angel fish tank, a 75 gallon with 1 red Oscar in it, 2 20 gallons and a 40 gallon running.
I'm not a big fan of "ornaments" in tanks.
I can tell you that each of my tanks have 2 filters on them that on their own can handle the needs of the tank.
I do have a couple of pictures in my other hobbies page of my website
www.longbros.com/richjr
Search around the web
Good basic info can be found at www.simplydiscus.com
Fish are cool! Enjoy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Being an ex-fish guru person, I'm also not fond of ornament tanks. Sure they look pretty for you...but it causes stress for your fish and make them short lived.

In my prime, I had 26 fish tanks with 300+ fish at one time. Now I'm down to 4 tanks with about 30 fish.

One thing I've noticed so far is that everyone I've known that pushed for an ornament fish tank, no longer is running their tank. After about 2 years they stop in fustration because they can't keep them alive.

I currently have 4 fish that are over 8 years old, that I bought before '95

I know my tanks are not pretty but I try to make the fish happy.

On a side note: Most of those 300 fish I had I sold back to fish stores for a small profit because of their size.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Whichever way you decide to go, be sure and "cycle" the tank with a few inexpensive, hardy starter fish. For about the 1st month your tank will go through a series of chemical changes while the good bacteria grow. But Pirahnas are about the most boring tank denizens out there. They just don't match up to their rep in a tank. Try a pair of OScars for thrill, or a tank full of community fish.
I can offer you tons of tips on fish keeping, I used to manage a tropical fish store (for 5 years) and I HATE bringing my work home with me, so I perfected the lazy mans fish tank care! Send me a PM's if you like.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks for all the pleathera of advice! I think I will go with some oscars, but I think I am going to take about a month to get the tank ready. i will start with some cheap goldfish to see if the water is right for living. I still think I am going to go with some sort of theme, nothing to big, but enough to look good in my living room. I will definatly send you guys dome PM's asking or advice. again, thanks again!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do you say it causes stress for the fish? Havent you seen little nemo? LOL! Those fish had fun in there tank, even though they were trying to [email protected]!!!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Don't tell me! I haven't seen the movie yet!!! :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I started the fish tank thing this weekend also. But there is one exception to mine from everyone else. I got mine at Spencers. Thats right the gag gift shop. It holds about 3 gallons of water. The fish are plastic and so is the bottom plants. Has a nice back ground. This is my way to have fish no water to change,no dead ones, and they are really a delight to watch.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Piranhas are a good conversation starters but a pain. Especially if you have kids. They usually wont bite if well fed.

Angel fish have a nice calming effect as would any slow moving fish. Danios if you liek a lot of non stop action!

I would second the oscar recommendation! They are smart, will wag thier tails when they see you and can be taught tricks!

·
1,215 Posts
I have a 90 gallon Saltwater tank, and a couple of good advice points are these:

1) Go Slow...you can't just add all the fish at once and have your tank up and running..you have to "cycle" it and build up the beneficial bacteria in your tank that will consume the waste from your fish. Keep in mind that Oscars are messy eaters, and will add to the bio-load.

2) Don't overstock...40 gallons probably seems like a HUGE tank to you right now and it is pretty good size but resist the temptation to cram as many fish as you can into it. Also keep in mind that the more "decoration" you put in there it will displace water...so you end up with less water than you think. ]

3) If you want to go with oscars, keep in mind that they can get to 10-12" in length and they can do it pretty quickly if fed often. They are also predatory fish, so you can't keep little neons in the tank with them or they will be lunch!

Find a good website to read up on some of the things we all have mentioned in this post to help you understand it all. PM me if you want, I'll send you a couple of Forums I know.

Happy Fishing!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will agree with the majority here-Oscars. They are interesting, and fairly hard to kill. My brother-in-law had one that lived through a house fire. There was probably about 3 inches of water left in the tank when they brought it out. Of course, then his kids got to it and killed it with macaroni! We have three freshwater tanks, one with gourami and angels, one with bala sharks and loaches, and one with guppies and a male betta. We only add one or two fish at a time when we decide to make an addition, and letting your tank sit for a while before you add fish is a good idea. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts