Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had record heat here in Boise, Idaho. The last 9 days have been over 100'F, with a couple of the days breaking record highs. Warmest was 108 yesterday! Also it will go on record as the hottest July!

The next 3 days forecast has a cold from, dropping to 96, 93, and 98, then back to the 100's for a few more days! Too dang hot to drive my '66 convertible since it doesn't have A/C and tends to boil over when it is over 90'F outside.

Tom

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
108 degrees? That's hotter than it is here in Tucson.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
We finally caught a break today. First day in a week that it hasn't hit 100. Today it was a nice cool 94 (felt like winter ::). My theory is that after I put Watter Wetter in all 3 running Mustangs last night, it cooled off the whole city ... man than's some good stuff!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Did you use the Water Wetter that's an ADDITIVE or the Water Wetter that's a REPLACEMENT for coolant? I think I'll pick some of that up before our work on Saturday!

Anyway, it was GREAT today. It actually sprinkled some rain in Woodland!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Same here in CO, Tom. For many years, Denver would only see 90s for a couple of weeks in mid July (if that), then we'd be in the 80s for the rest of the summer.

After an unusually cool and wet spring, we are now locked in the upper 90s for the entire month. I live up at 8200 feet, so it's not been that bad at home, but down in Denver where I work, it has come close to breaking records for hot and dry.

I'm now looking forward to the monsoonal flow we normally get starting about now. If we don't see it soon, August may be even worse than July - which means another couple of months of bad fire danger.

My cars on the other hand, seem to do just fine - if I can keep the gasoline from boiling out of the fuel bowls.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wow, thats hot! We have been running quite cool in Mi. Mid 70's to low 80's and almost record lows in the pm. We are supposed start to warm up to the mid 80's by friday. Very strange summer weather. I hope August warms up abit (not 108 degrees) But warmer than it has been. Stay cool, Dawn

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
In Okie land we've had our share of hot days recently. Nice for the last several days but promising to be blast furnace again on Saturday. I'm committed to support a local Ford dealership then so not looking forward to baking on the asphault. I can remember a couple Summers ago, had 100+ for more than 30 days. Dreaming of Seattle...

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Its been very nice here,low to mid 80s but the 90s are on the way back.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tom--

I hear ya. I haven't enjoyed these 9 days, and the smoke the last couple has been terrible too. It's always bad when you think it's cool at night and it's still 98 degrees. You should try some of the watter wetter for that boiling over. I recently changed out to mostly water with about 10% anitfreeze (whatever was left in the block after the drain) and mixed in 2 bottles of the Red Line (red color) watter wetter. I got about 15 degrees drop from making that swap from the antifreeze mixture. My 331 will refrain from boiling over too much now. You might check out the rad cap too, if it is bad, or is a low psi cap, you might be losing some cooling potential. Also, I have a big 17.5", 7-blade fan lying around if you ever decide you need some more cooling power (assuming you are running the standard fan). I've been struggling with the boiling over here as well, so I thought I'd share all the things I found to be helpful. However, none of those things will help the fact that you don't have AC, you will still sweat like crazy driving around in the 108 degree heat. ::

Dave

·
Registered
466 Posts
i hear ya on the temp.... i hate it being that i have to work outside, im tryin to find stuff to do inside but gotta walk from place to place here at f&g.... then i get the pleasure of delivering pizza's in a non a/c car on fri and sun night.... i actually got offered water last weekend, suprised the hell out of me but didnt take it. went through a gall and a half of water in a matter of 3 hours driving. it was hell. now its in the 90's and humid, cant it just cool down to 85 for the rest of the year ::

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did have Red Line Water Wetter in my '66 convertible last year, but when I flushed the system this Spring, I replaced the coolant with 50/50 antifreeze and water. The Water Wetter did cool the engine quite a bit, so I do need to use it again. I just wanted to see how it help up after a good flushing first.

Still considering adding an aftermarket A/C unit, but I don't want to add more load to an already hot-running engine. So I want to get it running cooler first before adding an A/C unit. I may try a larger fan or even an electric fan. I will also check my radiator cap (I think it is 14 lbs). I currently have a 160' thermostat in it, which I put in a couple years ago in place of the 190' (I think) it had originally.

Tom

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Can't remember the last day it was under 100. I'd settle for under 105 and, for cryin' out loud, no humidity! Darn monsoon flow.

I was out yesterday loading the roll-off full of construction debris with the loader and it was over 100 degrees and raining!

Crazy!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yeah, I too was running 50/50 blend before I swapped to the water wetter. It does make a big difference. Are you still running a 2-row radiator, or have you upgraded to 3-row or better yet? Also, I would readily discourage the use of an electric fan as a primary unless it is a darn good one. I am currently in the process of swapping my electric out for a 7-blade belt driven with a healthy pitch on it. With the first mock up on a spacer, the air-flow from the electric fan was not even close to the flow from the belt driven. That 7-blade belt driven puts out almost as much flow at idle (low idle 600rpm) as the electric does, and at rpms above 1500 or so, I would say it is flowing about 3x what the electric fan does, and my electric fan is supposedly a "high performance" one that flows like 2900 cfm or something like that. If you want to try a larger fan shoot me a PM and you can try the one I have lying around in the garage and see if it helps you out. A 13-14 lbs cap should be fine, I was running a 7 lb cap for awhile and was just about getting away with it until these hot days hit. I would suggest checking and/or replacing it if it has been in there a long time; a bad rad cap can cause premature boiling over. As far as thermostat goes, once its open, its open, so if the car isn't cooling enough, that wont make a difference unless it isn't opening all the way. I run a 180 degree hi flow stat, but if your engine isn't really modified a bunch, you probably don't need the extra coolant flow.

Hope you get it cooled down.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts