Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a subscription to "Reminisce" magazine as a gift. It is a really cool "old fart" mag. As I was flipping through the pages, my heart almost stopped when I saw this picture:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/798/1960_chev.jpg
(Note the price of Gulf gas... less than taxes run on a gallon now). I had a 1960 Chev convt just like this one. Well, mine was horizon blue, with a matching blue top. And... mine had two of those gaudy antennas, one off each tail fin. For the Ford side of your brain, mine also had some pretty cool "wire looking" wheel covers off a 1960 Ford Fairlane 500(which was a full size Ford in those days). Yes, I was always short on resources. :: Altogether, it was a great looking car, and an extremely good one too. It had top speed capabilities I won't even go into, since you wouldn't believe it anyway. Lets just say it would peg the 120 MPH speedo before engaging the secondaries with the mechanical linkage on that Rochester 4 bbl. The 348 was (is) a great engine, being a predecessor to the 396/409.

I had cutouts on mine. You can't see it in this picture but the exhaust pipes curve out close to the side of the car just behind the front tires. I scavenged old gas tank filler necks and welded them in at the curve of the pipe, so I could easily pull the caps on the dumps without getting under the car. It sounded awesome at about 110 mph at cruise (there was no speed limit in Kansas at that time). The law read "reasonable and prudent speed".

While I was away to basic training in 1967, the car was sitting outside when a rip snorting hailstorm came through. It beat the car like somebody took a sledge hammer to it. The top was riddled, and hail stones came through the top and ripped the upholstery. That was the end of my "baby", since I had no insurance for such an occurance.

Just thought I'd share. I know a lot of you had a car that was as important to you as this one was to me. Next to my Mustang, that old Chevy will always hold a spot in my heart! If you have a story about an old 4 wheel love, I'd like to hear it.

Edit: Note the 56 Ford HT visible behind th rear of that old truck!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
That photo brought back memories for me too. My best friend in high school had a 60 Impala in red with a white bubble top and reversed chrome wheels. Lots of fond memories of fun times in that car. His was a 283, not the 348, so it wasn't the hottest machine on the block but it sure looked great. His previous car was a 61 gray Impala with a white bubble top but we all liked the 60 better because it just looked cooler than the 61. ::

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan,

I have thought about it. They're expensive now (surprise, surprise). It would cost about $40,000 for a nice one, not show quality, just a real nice one. Then, I'd have to get rid of something else in my garage to have a place for it to sit.

I guess it's kind of like when your dog passes on, you can always get another dog, but you just never can replace the one you had! Truthfully, the best thing about having owned that car is the memories that will last forever.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great stuff. And being an old fart myself, I DO believe the top end capabilities. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This pic brings back a different memory for me. My dad used to own a Gulf gas station and I remember pumping Gulftane when I was a kid. Price was closer to $.50 in the mid 70's though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts