Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's been wanting to buy a van for his business for quite sometime now and wants something pretty new. Only thing is that he doesnt have the money to go out and buy a brand new van. So he wanted to know if any of you guys knew of any salvaged car dealers, as in cars with salvaged titles but look, and run fine. So do you guys know of any in the Los Angeles area?

PS: I dont think this is the greatest idea on his behalf, but, I've tried talking to him and it doesnt seem to be working. What do you guys think? Are salvaged cars not that bad or is he making a mistake? If he's making a mistake would should I tell him to steering em' away from getting one? Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I spied an 11 passenger van for sale at the church around the corner from my house in Pomona. What is your dad's budget ? If he's interested I'll inquire for him.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's willing to go up to $5K, but is determined to get an Astro/Safari. Why? I dont know. What kinda of van is it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If it is an 11 passenger it can't be an Astro/Safari. I think that the Astro and Safari have to be the worse engineered vehicles on the planet. It is amazing that they have made them as long as they have! You drive with your knee in the steering wheel!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think a highschool down the road is selling off some old busses. I could inquire about a short bus. Itd have a wheelchair lift on it probably but if your dad wants to keep it into old age that might be useful. ::

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember, I'm occasionally gonna be ridding with him. Do you really think I want to be seen on a "short bus" :: ::

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS: Also, my dad wants it to carry around stuff, not people...I probably should've mentioned that first...Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Go to auctions! Last Sat I went to one and a 1995 Astro with 63,000 miles sold for only $1200. It was a very small craft store sale and I dont think alot of people were there to buy a car. It kinda caught them all off guard. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We have owned 3 vehicles that had "salvage" titles. We got a very good deal on them, and they were no problem. The odd thing is, two of the three vehicles got totaled again in accidents. :: The Mazda 929 was totaled by SWMBO in a one-car accident on a slick road, so it was her fault, and had nothing to do with how the car was repaired. My son totaled an F-150 when a lady turned in front of him. It was not the fault of my son or the truck. In fact, the airbag and strength of the truck probably saved his life.

In both cases, the insurance company paid us as if the vehicles did not have salvage titles. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts