Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking between buildings here at work waiting at the stoplight when a semi-flatbed drives up with this on the bed.
Non-Line Of Sight Cannon
I'm told it was more a common sight around here a few years ago (when this was a production facility, now only R&D) but it was still interesting to see a powered 155mm cannon on the road here in San Jose.
Yes this is the company I work for, maybe I'll get a tour some day. Check out more of the products....the newer proposed ones listed are the R&D ones here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nice, little bit of a recoil off of that thing. Amazing some of the weapons and gadgets that we posses, armed forces, but generally do not really know about. My brother-in-law works for Boeing's version of 'skunkworks' and cannot clue me in as to some of the stuff they are working on. Oh well, I'll have to wait and read about it in Popular Mechanics ::.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
At first, I thought you were talking about that 1970's show about an over-weight detective (Cannon). :p

That is some nice hardware! I hope DaveSanborn never gets his hands on one! ::

·
Registered
762 Posts
So ? what the heck ? Does it shoot around corners ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Mike,
Saw that there for 20 years - and blew up a lot of stuff down in Hollister at the test range.

So, are you a full timer yet?
K

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm told it was more a common sight around here a few years ago (when this was a production facility, now only R&D) but it was still interesting to see a powered 155mm cannon on the road here in San Jose.
Right after the LA South Central riots, I went to a Scottish Games here in NorCal. One of the reenactment groups was of an 1880 British company, and they had both muskets and the most beautiful Gatling gun I've ever seen. (It was a replica made by a guy who is so good people were "aging" his guns and selling them to big museums as original - now he mills part of the receiver flat and engraves his maker's mark.)

After they gave a firing exhibition of the muskets and Gatling (and man, you've NEVER heard anything like it!) I talked to the gunner. He told me they had just driven up from San Diego, right through the smoke and haze of the riots, with this thing on a trailer. People were pulling alongside and yelling, "Yeah! Go get 'em!"

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Ken I just interviewed for my own job today. Hopefully soon I'll be an employee....good or bad? :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts