Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, this is just plain dumb. I put an add on E-bay for a am-fm ford stereo, clearly post that I will ONLY sell in U.S. and Canada, take ONLY money order or cashiers check, and the high bidder e-mails me from DENMARK wanting to PAY-PAL me!. What is wrong with people? Simple, short, to the point add and directions. :: ::

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a few moths ago. I listed a driver side door for a 68 Mustang, I clearly stated that it is a United STates only auction and that I would not ship the door out of the country. SO in the last minute of the auction some guy from Thialand decides to bid on it and wins. He then writes me wanting to know how much shipping would be. I nicely tell him I didn't want to ship it out of the country and that even if I did it would cost him a lot. He replied back and said "dont worry I'm good for it". He sends me his ship to address so I check the cost to ship it and it turned out that it would cost over $200 to ship, I emailed him the price quote and he flipped saying I was trying to rip him off and that he could get it shipped for under $25. So I told him go ahead and arrange the shipping yourself and let me know where I should drop it off once payment is received. He quickly determined that it DOES cost over $200 to ship it so he decided he didn't want the door. I lost out on the EBay posting fee becasue he decided to stop responding to my emails requesting the posting fee. I then relist the door again amd guess who wins the door in the last minute of the auction (7 days later), THE SAME GUY AGAIN!!!. SO I have blocked him from bidding on my auction going forward and I state in all my auction several times that "US only, no out of country shipping".

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
you could get back your final value fees & if you relist it, they will give you your original registration fees as well. I would even contact hte 2nd highest bidder offering it to him exclusevely, this way you know who is getting it

·
Registered
738 Posts
You guys are missng out if you do not sell to overseas bidders(I probably would not though on something like a door).

Like you I used to list to US and Canada only. In the past sometimes bidders from Sweden, Norway, England, Australia etc. asked if they can bid on my items. I say yes only after looking at their feedback. I know for a fact I received probaly 25-50% more money on these items because these guys wanted it. These guys have money and are willing to pay the big bucks.
One guy from Sweden sent me $290.00 in CASH. Most end up sending cash or cash through Western Union etc. It's not that big of a deal to send items to another country. I send most items insured through the usps airmail.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I had good luck with a guy is Australia a 73 Cougar I parted out. He won a couple small parts on eBay and ended up buying $600 more. He bought the top frame, rear bumper and taillites, rear valance and a big box full of trim and misc. parts. Really nice guy, he would even cover my PayPal fees!.

I did have to draw the line at the rear quarters though.... ::

I shipped it all to his freight forwarder in CA. 4 months later I got an email thanking me for the quality parts and everything and hoping to do biz with me again!

Probably my best eBay experience ever.... ::

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
While that sounds good (sending the item to someone's freight forwarder), unfortunately I haven't had that experience too often. The buyer usually expects you to do all the export/customs/value paperwork and then also expects the shipping charges to be the same as shipping it across town. I've also had the same experience as the post opener, having VERY clearly stated that the auction is for U.S. buyers ONLY, only to receive a dozen requests for shipping charges for anywhere from Canada to Timbuktu! The worst of course, is ending up with the out-of-country BUYER in that situation.
If you can read English well enough to understand the item, how come you can't read or understand the auction sale limitations???!! ::rantbloodyrant:: Ah well... ::

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
I liked your Ebay post, but I love the car pic more. I love the look. The Shelby restomod look is awsome! Mine is the same combo...Shelby resto mix. Thanks for the inspiration and more modivation to get mine done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts