Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tells me that she offered to pick up a co-worker from the Chevy dealer after work. The co-worker (female not that that has a bearing on anything ::) says that her new Tahoe is stuck in 4wd low (per the dummy light) and she needs to take it in. The co-worker proceeds to drive onto the highway at speed (70mph) which my wife thought was not possible in 4wd low. When they get to the dealer the co-worker says the 'check engine light' went on while she was driving but she drove on anyways since she was heading to the dealer. May be a expensive 'check engine' service. ::

I doubt 4wd low could even attain 70mph without blowing the engine so who knows what gearing this thing was running. ::

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Sure hope it's still in warranty because I sense major repairs are going to be needed. ::

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was never in a Tahoe, but dosent a truck like that have a tach, so that you can tell what the engine speed is and if not cant you atlest hear or feel the engine racing?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I would not worry too much about damage to the engine, the thing ought to be able to stand a few minutes at 4500 rpm, but I would worry about the transfer case. I've never owned a 4 x 4, but it's my understanding that unless you have a full-time 4wd setup you should never drive on dry pavement in 4wd, much less at 70 mph.

Remember those old T-shirts: "Your brain" (Ford logo), "Your brain on drugs" (Chevy logo), "Any questions?"

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm with Sparky, she had to hear the engine screaming for vengeance! Maybe the radio was too loud! Oh well, it's a chevy!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yowsah ! If it was really in low range, which in the Tahoe is 2.72 to 1, and a 3.73 rear axle (standard) top speed at 5500 rpm would be maybe 35 mph... I think overdrive is locked out in low range, could be mistaken. I'm betting the computer limits the RPM to some non-hand-grenade value anyway.

But still ! ::

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
She'll buy a rice truck next because those American made vehicles just don't last.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'll bet it is just a wiring problem that has caused the light to come on with a "false positive" reading. I'm betting a simple and cheap repair. You can't go 70 in 4 low.

John Harvey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts