Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while I come across a wierd car that I was not looking for and thought I would never buy......but I buy it anyway. I found this 44K mile, one owner, original paint VW "THING" for $1,200 and I could not pass it up. It has very little rust, solid floors and runs fantastic. It has a factory pushbar and light kit, roll bar and a rear left/right hand brake system for off roading to shift the power to either wheel. Little did I know how much fun it would be to drive!! The windshield folds flat and the top goes down and it is like riding around twon in a speed boat! Everywhere we go in it people smile and point. No it is not a Mustang but it is the most fun I've had driving a car in quite some time. Now I use this to go car hunting because of the un-hindered view!

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL310/2075470/4891932/65487047.jpg

K

·
0 Posts
Ah....the Kubelwagen. Sometimes I wish I bought one.
Have you taken the doors off and driven around yet. Makes the experience even better.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Werent those rated the most unsafe car produced in the modern era? Anyways, all you need to do is paint it grey and grow a Hitler mustache - youll be the hit at all then parades.....

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
That was one of my favorite shows! ::

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looks like fun and a good deal! I bet you can put it on E-Hey and make some $$$!!!

I would keep it for some time and play with it though!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I spent a summer welding togeter a friends Thing. He ended up with two eventually. We painted one Desert sand and added DAK palms to the doors. The "insignia" was replaced with the FSU logo.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Man, you STOLE that thing. As rediculous as those cars are, they're funky and unique and have appreciated considerably in value.

In my youth I used to hack up bugs, make baja bugs out of them and sell them (quite the fad in the late 70's!). I rigged a couple of them up with "buggy brakes", basically an emergency brake to each rear wheel. What a blast in the sand! But I never knew VW Things came standard with them!

K

·
0 Posts
Yeah that's all he needs....the Jeep club with 50cals mounted on their CJs chasing him. :: :: :D :D :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Great find and fantastic price!!! :). I would have bought it in a second if I saw it here...Thats truly a blast from the past.

·
Registered
721 Posts
That's quite the buy, you lucky guy. And yeah Rat Patrol rocks!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Ya know, Rat Patrol influenced me....in a bad way. As soon as I could afford a vehicle I bought a beater CJ and immediately found out that those jumps they do in Rat Patrol, over the sand dunes and stuff...well they can't really be done by a stock jeep ::

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wow! You got a great deal on that thing. You just don't see those "things" :eek: around very often.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Its funny, they seem to be making a come-back out here. I hadn't seen one in years, and now I've seen 4 of them this summer, 2 of them in pristine condition.
I remember making a wild caricature-type "Deal's Wheels" model (remember those?) of one back in '70 or '71! I wanted a real one so bad, but wasn't old enough for a license yet!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What a steal! Looks like a lot of fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts