Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent yesterday watching the vintage cars run up at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. The weather couldn't have been any better. If you haven't been up to Road America before, it is an absolutely beautiful road course.

They had several different classes of vintage race cars running. The highlight for me was watching the early 70's Can-Am cars thundering around. There were some great looking McLarens.

Saw some great looking old Trans-Am Mustangs as well. Took lots of photos, but they are 35mm.

During the lunch break, spectators were allowed to drive their cars around the track. If anybody from our area was up there in their Mustang, I probably got some photos of your car.

What a fun day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I couldn't make it to the BRIC (Brian Redman International Challenge), but I hope to be at RA for the Fall Vintage Fest. Usually somewhat smaller of an event as compared to the BRIC, but a great time to spend a weekend in Elkhart Lake. I'm not sure of the dates, but it should be listed on the RA website.

Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just another thought on going to RA. If you leave enough time for the drive home, I suggest taking Rt. 67 south from the track. It is a great drive, winding through many small towns, the Kettle Moraine State Park, and ending in Williams Bay on Lake Geneva. It adds a couple of hours to the trip, but if you're from the Northwest or Western suburbs, it is well worth the extra time. Check out the Hamburger Haus at the south end of Long Lake for good outdoor eats.

Chris

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We usually go up for the CART/Trans-Am race weekend each year (except this one). I take 94 to 43 to 57. There's a little town called Waldo on 57 and I have been nailed twice for speeding just north of Waldo by the Sheboygan County Sheriff's department. I actually made it up and back without any tickets last weekend. ::

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was up there for the races too! We usually make it the guys weekend getaway. My buddy had his 66 FB, red with white stripes on the track on Saturday. Said he had a blast! Hopefully I'll have mine there next year. Was your 67 FB out there? I don't remember seeing one there, but there was ALOT of cars on the track. Perfect weather, perfect track.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left the Mustangs at home and drove the trusty 4-Runner up (much better for bombing around the various areas of the track). I am pretty sure I got some photos of your buddy's car.

There was a really nice looking Highland Green GT500KR Fastback that I kept drooling over. I couldn't tell if it had Wi or IL plates.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome to Wisconsin!

Any time you guys are up here again, give me a pm and I'll have the brats and Coronas ready and waiting. I'm 2 miles east of Hwy 57 at Fredonia.

BTW, if you'd like to do a return trip this weekend, construction of the Midwest Garage Majal will commence.
Overnight accomodations available.

Brian

·
Registered
115 Posts
Brian,
Thanks for the invite! I've been single-handedly supporting the Fredonia economy with my morning stops at the gas station right by the schools on race weekends (SCCA, Midwestern Council, and Porsche Club) for the last 10 years. I'm new to this Mustang thing as I've finally turned my back on current-era wheel-to-wheel racing and am getting ready to plunge into the world of vintage events with a '65 coupe. Like Paul, I'm planning on attending the ALMS event, and I'll also be there for the fall vintage event. Good luck with your garage-ma-hal.

Chris (from south of the cheddar curtain)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Paul,
Let me know if you get a pic of the red 66 fastback on the track. I know he'd sure like to have a copy of that!! Oh, I was also drooling over the same 500! :p
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Chris,
Good to hear from you. I used to live 2 blocks from that gas station. Now, I'm 4 miles away, in the country.

I've been to RA many times, but as I coach football at those schools you pass in Fredonia, my weekends are tied up a little.

Offer still stands. Let me know when your coming through. Let that inflated Fredonia economy give back a little.

Brian

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a pretty decent shot of a red fastback coming out of turn six. It has white LeMans stripes, looks like a white interior (hard to tell), hood pins, fastback vents are black and "Centerline" type of wheels.

This was during the lunch break, not a competition car. Does that sound like his car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts