Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend me and SWMBO were out we get over to make out exit and this guy won't let us over. Swmbo speeds up and gets over anyway. no close calls no nothing and the guy starts flipping us off he does this even as he pulls beside us on the exit just because we pulled in front of him and yes the turn signal was on. I tell you what I almost got out of the car and smacked that guy, but thought better of it. I don't so much mind if someone flips me off but not SWMBO. I of course gave the bird back, but gee people are just to rude now days. Had we been in a line out side our cars and that would have never happend as people I guess feel powerful and untouchable in their cars. I'm not one to get road rage , but when people get that out of line it makes my blood boil..

just my rant

·
Registered
47 Posts
yea i know exactly what you are talking about. All you can do is when they are road raging stay calm because you don't know what they are capable of. Just be safe and understand the surroundings. People just want to feel bad ass these days. its just the american way now. i guess

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Out here in California, the only difference is that people use guns instead of birds :/

And you're right about the feeling of anonymity and invulernability when you're in a car. Whether you're conscious of it, or not, your persona changes when you get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm not one to get road rage, but when people get that out of line it makes my blood boil... I almost got out of the car and smacked that guy... I of course gave the bird back...
Your post kinda made me grin... So, what's your definition of "road rage?" ::

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Easier said than done, but it's best just to smile and go on your way. You can't control their behavior, so focus on your own, which you do have control over. At best, the "crazies" on the road can stress you out and ruin your day, if you let them. At worst, it's hard to tell what they are capable of. Lots of folks out there that seem to have no control over their rage when behind the wheel of a car, and many of the worse of them are packing guns. Road rage deaths are becomming commonplace all over the country. Just don't let them get to you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess road rage to me is getting even, but never would I do anything to someone for being an a** on the highway, but in my mind wow. I hate the fact someone did that to swmbo as she drives like a saint.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It is road rage, plain and simple. You shouldn't stoop to this guy's level.

The same thing happened to me several weeks ago. A line of cars in the rightmost lane extended back for an 8th of a mile. I was in the center lane and needed to turn right about 3 blocks ahead. I found a 70 foot hole in that line of cars (moving at 30 mph) and signaled my intention to merge. A ******* in a pickup (I drive a pickup, too) saw my signal and floored his truck (closing the hole in the line of cars) in an attempt to prevent me from merging. Saw him shouting and shaking a fist through his closed window as he passed me. I had to stop the center lane of traffic in order to wait for the entire 1/8 mile of cars to pass before I could merge safely. I'm sure the people behind me were also shouting and gesturing.

At the next light. I pulled up alongside the guy. More shouting through the glass followed by the inevitable 1-finger salute. You could look at the guy and see that he was a walking timebomb. When the light changed, the guy is still screaming and gesturing. I looked him in the eye, smiled and waved.

You never know who has a gun under their seat. Not worth a confrontation, IMO.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Look at it this way... that guy has to live with being himself 24/7... he is his own punishment. Doesn't sound like that would be very enjoyable to me.

Doug

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Actually, if someone does something like that...I just wave back at them...that really pisses them off.

About a month ago I had my Volvo broadsided by a guy in a 2 lane merge to 1. Everyone was going about 30 MPH, and everyone was alternating letting people in. I was in the Merged into lane. Figure I would be nice, let the next guy go in front of me...and this arse behind him and beside me things he should be there to. With no warning, just comes right over and hits my car. So then I gun the gas to get in front of him so I can pull over at the next intersection (dark, at night...wasn't worth it) and he pulls beside of me and starts yelling and threatening me that I hit him and how he had called the cops (this is also after he was tailgating so close I couldn't see the front of his truck). So I decide best not to stop anywhere where there isn't a cop. I start driving to the police station. Next intersection is a stop sign with bad traffic. Guy is still behind me. He gets out of his car while I"m stopped. Comes up to my window and starts yelling for me to get out of the car (at this point I'm on the phone with the local police). I open my sun roof and tell him to follow me. I keep heading to the police station. As soon as I pull in he stops following me and speeds away.

Luckily no car damage. I did get his tag #. I was worried he got mine, but at the time my registration was not up to date (still had RI tags and living in MA) so tracing my tags wouldn't have done him much good. Now my cars are all registered in PA.

This guy was psycho though...

People are crazy these days...that's why I love driving my turbo brick (aka Volvo). Big, fast, and can take a beating.

Slade

1 - 9 of 9 Posts