Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

I currently have a stack of fourteen inch steel wheels but really could use a supply of fifteen inch steel wheels for vintage mustang spare tyre mounting

I am wondering what big fords or any ford of the sixties had the same backspace wheels as a mustang with the same lug pattern in a fifteen inch wheel

Being in the UK it doesn't make sence to ship steel wheels in although ai have a bunch ai am getting at a U.S. show this summer but need some rather sharpish so trying to widen my UK eBay searches

Cheers. Peter.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You did not state the year. For example, in 67 the use of 15" wheels was with the ultra rare competition handling package. According to the 1967 version master parts catalog, the wheel used for that was C7ZZ-1007-D. The specs are 15" x 6" x 5/8" offset - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle.

Looking at other 1967 model year cars;

1. "A" body full size Ford (427/428 and station wagon, conventional brakes) used C5AZ-1007-B, 15" x 6" (no offset listed) - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle
2. Full size Ford (except 427/428/station wagon/police interceptor, conventional brakes) used C5AZ-1007-A, 15" x 5" (no offset listed) - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle
3. Full size Ford (taxicab with disc brakes) used C5SZ-1007-A. 15" x 5.5" (no offset listed) - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle
4. Full size Ford (disc brakes) used C6AZ-1007-A, 15" x 6" (no offset listed) - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle
5. All "B" bodies (Fairlane) used 14" wheels.
6. All "F" bodies (Mustang) used 14" wheels except as mentioned above
7. The "U" body (Bronco) used a 15" wheel but there was no offset and the bolt circle was 5-1/2". Also had a 16" wheel.
8. "X" body (Falcon) used 13" and 14" wheels.

According to the 65-72 conglomerated MPC, looking strictly at the "F" lineup, there are the following 15" wheels:

1. 1965 - C1AZ-1007-A, 15" x 5.5" - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle. Note that there is no offset listed with ANY wheel in this version of the MPC.
2. 1966 same C1AZ-1007-A listed
3. 1967 - The aforementioned C7ZZ-1007-D is mentioned, this time specifying "except GT350/500, competition". No offset is listed like it was in the 1967 version of the MPC.
4. 1967 - GT350/500 lists a C8AZ-1007-B, painted black, 15" x 6" - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle. There is a note that it is replaced by D0LY-1007-G
5. 1967 - GT350/500 also lists the Magstar 15" x 7" wheel option.
6. 1968 - only listing is C8AZ-1007-B, 15" x 6" - 5 bolt holes - 4-1/2" bolt circle. There is a note that it is "stamped" C8AA-1007-DW

More options starting with 69 for Mustangs.

When I look through the list, considering that I "trust" the 67 year specific MPC more than the 65-72 version, although admitting that I have found errors in it, it looks like there are a plethora of choices for Ford 15" steel wheels. Knowing that all manufacturers love to "carry over" parts to avoid the cost associated with design, tooling, and handling, since there are so many unique part numbers involved I would conclude that slapping any old 1960's Ford steel wheel that has the 5 bolt, 4-1/2" pattern would be somewhat of a crap shoot. There must be something different in order to have created a new part number. Since the diameter, width, and bolt holes are clearly listed, the differences are somewhere else. Back spacing is the most likely candidate.

The backspace listed in the 67 MPC and not repeated on the 65-72 version is a bit disconcerting. I suppose though that if you went to the dealer to buy wheels for a year "X" Mustang, they would only need to be concerned about the diameter and width. At that point all part numbers identified as fitting the Mustang will have the correct back space, so there is no need to specify it. What is interesting is that the 15" wheel for the 1967 Mustang is the only one that mentioned backspace. All others were not specified.

I do know that at the swap meets over here in the US that I attend, "everyone" is asking for 15" wheels. They are not plentiful, and when found go quickly. Even looking through eBay they don't come up often.

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
My guess for the reason for several different part numbers for what appears to be the same wheel has to do with the introduction of disc brakes in the mid '60's and the use of a larger diameter center hole in the wheel to fit over the larger diameter snout on the disc brake hubs.

As I recall '65/'66 Shelbys used a 15" station wagon wheel.

I had a '68 T-bird parts car years ago and it had 15" wheels but with a larger bolt pattern- 5x5" I believe.

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
If you guys have any early 90's Crown or Mercury version, they have 15 x 6.5 inch wheels that work perfectly. I had them on my 66

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
Ford Ranger and Explorer rims also fit although most of them are alloy wheels. The spare tire on them was mounted on a steel wheel.

P

·
0 Posts
Many of the " big" Fords had the 5 x 5 lug pattern, so be careful. But as mentioned Crown Vics are a good choice.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Do you have any breakers yards nearby you can call? Don't tell them what you want them for or the price will surely go up. Id like some 16" steelies and get mad at the JY because I saw so many welded together as stands for the cars to sit on :( I was told there weren't worth inventorying so all steelies get used that way.
Id agree explorers and rangers would be the best starting point over there but it should also include the Mazda trucks/SUVs, Lincoln aviators, town cars and full size Mercury if old enough, I have a feeling ya'll didnt get many of those though. Im 90% sure the same with Jeep CJs, Cherokees etc but like most makes the offsets grew with the years so the older the better.

Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide: 5*X*4.5
I saw a few Land Rovers on this list.
Some Acura, mitsubishi, toyota's, chryslers, infinitis and others if they have full sized spares should be possible after trial and error or a bit of machining for the hub size. Again I think the older the better. YMMV :)

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Dodge and Plymouth cop cars. The "Dodge Diplomat" body used 15" X 6 wheels with knock outs that made them look like Camaro rallye wheels. I had some on my 66 GT.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
My guess for the reason for several different part numbers for what appears to be the same wheel has to do with the introduction of disc brakes in the mid '60's and the use of a larger diameter center hole in the wheel to fit over the larger diameter snout on the disc brake hubs.

As I recall '65/'66 Shelbys used a 15" station wagon wheel.

I had a '68 T-bird parts car years ago and it had 15" wheels but with a larger bolt pattern- 5x5" I believe.
actually the tbird from 68 had the 5x4.5 bolt pattern with 15" wheels. you could use tbird wheels on a mustang, but not mustang wheels on a tbird due to caliper clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
actually the tbird from 68 had the 5x4.5 bolt pattern with 15" wheels. you could use tbird wheels on a mustang, but not mustang wheels on a tbird due to caliper clearance issues.
Then maybe it was the '74 Lincoln parts car that had the 5x5 wheels.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If I remember correctly, some 15" wheels fitted to the full size with disk brake mid 60s Fords did not have any vent holes. Apparently they were trying to contain the brake dust to the inside. Disk brakes were brand new and a profitable option.

·
Registered
33,930 Posts
I handled my spare problem by using a tall aspect ratio 14" tire. It'll do in a pinch. For instance, if you're running 215/60R15's pick a 205/70R14. It's only 0.4" greater in circumference.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hold crap. Thanks folks

I think some folks mistakenly list fourteen inch wheels as fifteen due to not knowing how to measure bare wheels which doesn't help matter. Of course if a tyre is on its simple

I've struggled like mad to get s proper sized tyre for fourteen inch wheels. They seem to be much taller.

Thanks. Peter

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts