Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last couple sessions started hearing a howling sound from the back of the motor. I suspected either a convertor or a tranny pump. Had to mock up the T5 to check header clearances anyway, so thought since the C4 is out it would be a good time to pull it apart. Rebuilt the pump only to find a broken ring at the rear. Pulled the drum to insure all the ring pieces were retrieved to find.....

You think this drum bushing is savable? Its toast, good news, dont see any other damage and clutches are good. Good news, contacted Transtar and they have everything needed to do the repairs. You see what I'm doing over christmas.

This is my first time inside a C4, and it's not that difficult. Found it harder to fab up a tranny stand so I could work on it upright.

Merry christmas folks! Hope everyone has an awesome and happy holiday.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
That is actually normal as I found when I thought mine was bad too.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My drum bushing is actually broken on the thrust side and completely warn and flush with the inner drum wall. Glad I found it, would have sucked to put it back together after the pump rebuild still have a prob. The good news, at Ieast now I know I dont have a converter prob.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Looking closer, I see it now. I was focused on the "crack". Good you found this. I did the rebuild on my C4 and it was pretty easy I thought.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
I was taking my son to a pumpkin patch a few Octobers ago and noticed a big pink cloud following us...transmission fluid on exhaust !! Turned around and got it home. Called a buddy with a shop and had it towed over. The bushing let go, ruined the pump and seals, it had been 20 years so I had it built like an Abrams tank. Got a new convertor, too. $$$Merry Christmas to me that year! $$$ And Merry Christmas to you all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts