Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much begging and pleading from my son, we finally brought the 68 to a local show at the fairgrounds. The weather was great and we spoke with alot of gracious people, starting with the ticket taker at the gate when we arrived. I ended up parking next to a red '70 chevelle SS and thought my yellow coupe was going to become invisible. Well, even before we were 'set up' we had several nice comments and interested people come by.

My son is eight, and has helped me alot with projects relating to the car. His enthusiasm is amazing. He reads every thing about Mustangs, he can get his hands on. He loves to id the different years (64.5 -73) and knows the 71-73 years better than I do. He asks so many questions, I may have to have him get his own VMF screen name. Enough bragging...

Back to the show. Our class was 'original-restored 65 and up', and over half the cars there (150+) were in our class. Many of the cars were barely driven if at all. There is nothing very special or flashy about our car, so I knew there was to be no trophy for us. First place went to a bright yellow buick GTX, and second went to the chevelle parked next to me. Best of show to a 57 chevy conv. No trophies for the Fords.

Mustangs represented:
69 mach I - very nice clean original, may have been 'indian fire'
65 2+2 289 - red with black pony int, super straight and clean, 4spd
66 gt coupe - emberglo with 2 tone pony int, 347 stroker exceptional condition
and mine

Most importantly, my son had a blast, I spent 4 hrs with him, at the end of the show I got to watch my wife a daughter drive off in it, I'm not sure if it was the the driver and passenger, but that car never looked so good.

Hope you all had a great weekend...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Glad to hear the family enjoyed the show....
One thing I have found out about car shows....Don't paint your car yellow.....People will walk right past your car to look at a piece of junk, as long as it is RED.....Want to get attention at local car shows, don't spend all that time and money on the car, just paint it red.....Sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sounds good....I have started to show my 66 coupe at the local car shows and I enjoy just getting out there and being part of the show. My car is in good shape but it has not been detailed to the extent required to win a trophy so I don't get hung-up on that.

I find that Mustangs have a very faithful following and people always come up to me and tell me about when they had a Mustang in the 60's....I live for that stuff.

My son is 9 months and I hope I still have the Mustang when he is 8.

Glad you had a good experience....Greg.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
So..... you got somethin' against RED? "G"

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have to disagree. At all the shows I go to, the red cars never win, because they all look just like the other red one right next to it. It's the ones that stand out that win. The one exception being my friend's '69 Mach1 428CJ, which is red. He wins at every single show he goes to, but I think he'd win even if it were primered. Something about a '69 Mach1 428CJ that just stands out in a crowd.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't cry, they're coming back with my car...aren't they?

sorry about the picture size.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
There's nothing mellow about being yellow. I often tell the wife that the Klingons wouldn't have had to develop the cloak of invisibility if they knew about Meadowlark Yellow. Just paint them warbirds yellow and noboby would have seen them. My car is regularly invisible at car shows all around our area. Only women seem to be attracted to it (why didn't I know this when I was young and single?). Still, I think a nice pastel yellow suits some cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts