Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My normally reliable 1968 Mustang (302) has been simply stalling on me in traffic - most frequently at stop signs but also in slow freeway traffic. Points, condenser, and plugs were replaced and it was tuned-up. I was advised carburetor should be rebuilt. Solenoid was replaced and carburetor was rebuilt. Defective, new solenoid was replaced and it still stalled. The mechanics at the shop where I take it are running out of suggestions about the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
well you,ve repaired or replaced everything else so try a new fuel pump maybe its to weak to supply enough fuel at lower rpms. just a thought good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might as well replace the coil also Had a problem long time ago of engine stalling at idle or low rpm it was the coil good luck, Le Roy

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
vapor lock, or maybe a electrical disconnection. Have you checked for spark in these conditions, check for fuel by opening the carb semi fast while looking down it to see if it has gas. oxygen, gas, and spark somethings going to happen.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This problem sounds familiar. As others have posted an IC engine requires three things: air, spark and fuel. I would concentrate on fuel delivery components: gas tank, sending unit, fuel lines, filters, pump and (albeit unlikely) the fuel pump eccentric.

One method to eliminate electrical componets would be using an electrical fuel pump, 5/16" rubber fuel line (about 15 feet), 16 gauge wire and a toggle switch. If the car can be driven during identical conditions (stop and go traffic, under load etc) w/o shutting down then look at the fuel system.

Eventually I replaced almost every fuel system component except the pump-to-carb line and the fuel eccentric. The problem was due to a damaged tank-to-pump line.

If you do a Search, there will be several posts about this problem. IIRC there was only one situation solved with a new fuel pump. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts