Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have mentioned here I have a 67 Mustang project with a wee rust issue. Well, I don't think I will get around to it soon enough, which is also why I don't post much. So I went and found a 65 that has had all the bodywork done, rebuilt engine and new interior. It's not finished as it's still in primer but it's drivable and I can still work on stuff. The first thing I asked the owner was if I would be able to drive it to Portland if I bought it. Car was in Medford... (300 miles away) He said "Yes!" Get down there and it won't idle. (It's been sitting and the last time it was moved was April). Spent a couple hours trying to troubleshoot. Drove it around the block a couple times and off idle it was pretty good. I mean it's all freeway back home, right? Once I got to Eugene and within the 100 mile AAA range for free towing I was playing with house money. Made it home without incident at 1:30am. Will be tearing into the carb and looking at the idle circuit (Edelbrock AFB-style). Hopefully that will do it. Otherwise the engine is strong. Posted the 67 on Facebook and it sold in an hour.

Probably won't do a build thread because hopefully it's just mods from here on out.

Details: 1965 Coupe. C-code. 3 speed. The only, and I mean only option I can tell is it came with was the 289. Owner had a ton of sheetmetal replaced. After my debacle with the 67 I know every place a Mustang can rust at. This one is clean (now). Interior is new. Owner did all of the mods that I would have done, down to the exhaust coming out of the rear valance. And yes, I have a long list in my head about next steps such as front disc brakes and swapping in a 4 speed. (Maybe I do need a build thread...)

More importantly the wife is happier as she can imagine driving this and not at the pile of rust that was in the garage. Well, after I teach her how to drive a stick.

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
SCORE !!
Man, tthat's a great find. The Edelbrock AFB carbs are really simple and tune just like an Autolite to start with. The rods and jets are easy to change and dial in, too. My recommendation is use the stuff for a 1405 for baseline because the 1406 and 1407 are jetted a little lean for economy. The electric chokes for them work well and you can even adapt a Mustang exhaust driven choke. The accelerator pump stroke is as easy as changing the location of the arm on the plunger on the driver side front.
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Looks pretty clean.....have fun driving it while sorting issues. Do you really want to teach her how to drive "your" car? ;) You may never see the keys again.

John

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SCORE !!
Man, tthat's a great find. The Edelbrock AFB carbs are really simple and tune just like an Autolite to start with. The rods and jets are easy to change and dial in, too. My recommendation is use the stuff for a 1405 for baseline because the 1406 and 1407 are jetted a little lean for economy. The electric chokes for them work well and you can even adapt a Mustang exhaust driven choke. The accelerator pump stroke is as easy as changing the location of the arm on the plunger on the driver side front.
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!
I don't expect a lot of tuning, more like cleaning.

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
Nice car for sure. My rough idle turned out to be a vacuum leak between carb and intake. Squirt some carb cleaner at the various carb and intake gasket areas and see if the rpms change ( just lasts a few seconds but long enough). Leak found. Of course, the idle issue could be a lot of other things as well. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Super car! And you will be chasing that steering wheel hub around the interior!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
That Grant steering wheel isn’t going to be around long.

Through most of the 90's when the wife drove a 67 year round, she would come home and say almost weekly "that horn thing is somewhere". I miss those much simpler days!

·
Dimples
6,517 Posts
I dig it!

I have another option to add to your short list: rocker panel molding. That was optional for 65.

I wonder if it came with a Tiffany stripe or if the quarter panel ornaments were deleted by a PO. Probably the latter.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dig it!

I have another option to add to your short list: rocker panel molding. That was optional for 65.

I wonder if it came with a Tiffany stripe or if the quarter panel ornaments were deleted by a PO. Probably the latter.
Different from the rocker panel molding that’s on it?

This car originally didn’t come with anything and I’m not sure if I’ll put the quarter panel farkles on it or not.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
And yes, I have a long list in my head about next steps such as front disc brakes and swapping in a 4 speed. (Maybe I do need a build thread...)

More importantly the wife is happier as she can imagine driving this and not at the pile of rust that was in the garage. Well, after I teach her how to drive a stick.
Well it needs a little, why not forget ALL the mods and just drive it for a least a year (more like 2) and then re evaluate what it really needs compared to what you want to do ?

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it needs a little, why not forget ALL the mods and just drive it for a least a year (more like 2) and then re evaluate what it really needs compared to what you want to do ?
Because I don’t need to take that long to know that the original front drum brakes need to be replaced with discs. Besides half the fun is in the mods.

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
Because I don’t need to take that long to know that the original front drum brakes need to be replaced with discs. Besides half the fun is in the mods.
Before the debate begins...
Not that you asked, but somebody else may read this and decide the $500-$1000 they'll spend on nice front disc brakes is money they can spend elsewhere until they really need them, if at all.
Somehow I convinced myself, or someone else did, that disc brakes were better on my 66 Mustang in 1997.
1) they were better for me, not necessarily everyone
2) properly adjusted drums have the same initial dry braking power as discs and are fine for cruisers
3) discs are better if they happen to get very wet, or for repeated use like hilly areas and resist heat fade
4) I'm really glad I did mine because the car was my only daily driver at the time and my area sees sudden storms with flash puddles I might have to drive through
5) my older son's car is just fine with drums for now because he drives my pickup instead on stormy days

Still, I'm really glad I did the KH OE type on mine.
I may just get mad and decide one day to drive coast-to-coast. Mods rock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts