Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under the fenders, on the outer cowls of my 67 was a LOT of seam sealer. I removed most of it and applied some 3M brushable seam sealer in its place.

I have seen some pics recently of other Vintage Mustangs that did not have all this seam sealer.

Before I paint the outer cowl, I wanted to check to see what you you guys/gals have found.

Was the seam sealer in this area applied at the factory?

Thanks.

wjj

·
Registered
353 Posts
The "seam sealer/sound-deadener" was sprayed, in an uneven, sloppy, and in some places very thickly under the fenders and outer fender panels, by the factory. It covered portions of the front springs, the front bumper braces and the gas and brake lines.
In the engine compartment a sealer was sprayed on the inner firewall around the heater fan, heater hoses, and all wires that came through, by the factory in a very sloppy way.
The choice is to leave it off to keep the appearance neat and clean, like a new Lexus, or to be concours correct and duplicate the mess of the factory application.

Good luck with your restoration.
Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts