Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace the outter rockers along with the quarter panels on the 68 coupe.

how do the outter rockers attach? just tack welded to the "pinchweld" under the car and in the door sill?

also as long as im working on the same side, should i tackle the outter rocker and the quarter panel at the same time?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The outer rocker is simply spot welded to the inner rocker. The lower part of the quarter could be removed to help gain access to the rear of the rocker. Do you need to remove the complete length of the rocker panel? I only removed mine to an area just below the door hinge. At that location it sort of necks down and is actually a separate panel. On a 68 this smaller panel may also tie into the torque boxes. Mine was removed from the passenger side of my 67' so I didn't have to worry. Small thin chisels are VERY useful under the pillar posts. And there is an internal stiffening member about a foot long welded to the inside of the rail at the rear door post. You will have to save it and re-use it because one doesn't come with your new rail. Some other things to note...
The replacement I got was about an inch too long and looked like it was intended to actually go over top of the original. I had to weld the top of the rocker and use floor jacks (3) and some lengths of 2x4 placed on the lower lip of the rail to bend the panel up to it's proper location for welding the lower lip. The panel was clamped in place with vise grips between the 2x4's and jacks to prevent it from bending the wrong way.
Measure the placement of the "bump in" very carefully. This is the area where the front fender overlaps the rail. It is also the point where the lower front corner of the door meets the rocker and the front fender. A mis-alignment here will be very noticeable when the car is back together.

Hey look at me ramblin on like I actually know somethin. This is just my personal experience, and I hope some one else can point out anything I missed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
where are you getting you'r skin from! I'm doing about the same thing on my 69 mach. I got my full rocker from M.U. and found i had to sepperate the front patch(under the outer cowl)from the rest of the rocker and slide it in to the rocker about 7/8's so it would line up with the lip from the outer cowl.make sure you check you're fender bolt hole before these two are tacked backed together. measure from were these two pieces meet from the good side my measurement was 11/2" to the center of the bolt hole. maybe your's won't have to be. let me know if this is the case and i can provide more detail. good luck!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts