Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 65 V8 with manual steering

I ordered new rod ends. When I compared them to old ones I found that outer tie rod end wasn't same as the ones I had in the car. The old one had same thread to sleeve. But the ball-joint nut was thinner so the new ones were sloppy in spindle. The old outer tie rod end was 1/2 inch and the new one was maybe 7/16. Do I have non-original spindle or what?

·
Registered
21,376 Posts
You might have been given a 6 cyl tie rod end but most likely, an off shore one.

I bought a new outer, and sleeve for my 66 from CJ Pony parts about a year ago, when I converted to manual steering. I ended up keeping the old PS outer and sleeve on because of the same thing, different thread size!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they are not 6 cyl stuff. I have all three on the table now. The 65/66 six-cyl tie rod end is with different thread but the same thickness in conical part (damn, can't remember the right word). The 8-cyl tie rod end has same threads as the one I had on, but it has the same diameter on that conical part that goes to spindle.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that I have 67 spindle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts