Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an outer wheel well and quarter panel skin I am trying to install on my 1969 mustang. It seems to be about 1.5 inches to long in the rear and about 1 in to wide to go back in. I have the quarter fitting up but can’t get the quarter and outer wheel well to fit together. If the outer wheel well is installed and clamped into place the quarter would have to be bowed a great deal to fit. The first picture is the quarter mounted and appears to fit right (not a body guy). The second photo shows the outer wheel well from inside the car when the flanges are lined up. I am thinking about cutting the wheel well long ways then install and tack weld together. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

I had the same problem, cheap outer wheelhouse(unknown brand) that fit horrible. I had to section it like this then pull it in and weld it back together...did this on both sides. I presume dynacorn pieces would fit better...the outer wheelhouses were the only piece I couldnt find in dynacorn at the time I ordered inners and quarters.

P.S. The horizontal relief cut allowed be to pull the end down, effectively shortening it to a degree...but the out wheel houses remain the worst fitting panel I have dealt with yet.

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,635 Posts
Freefall150, I replaced both rear outer wheel houses & quarter skins on my 69 Coupe about 8-9 years ago & the only place I had a problem was with the quarter skins where they meet the rocker panel in front of the rear wheels. I had to re-bend the lower part of the quarter skin as it was a little long. Here are some pics of when I did them. IIRC I purchased them from CJ Pony parts. I cut the small section that would have been the top of the quarter skin & flanged the top of the side so it fit under what was left of the old quarter panel. Then I screwed it together to test the fit one last time then painstakingly welded it together.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.