Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my 66 coupes outer cowl and noticed some heavy surface rust forming. I peeled back the edge of the cowl and I cant put ascrewdriver through it but there is heavy rust. Whats the best way to fix this. The rest of the cowl is very nice with no rust at all. Here is the two senarios I came up with

1=sandblast the heck out of it and seal it back up

2=trim as much as I can and treat it accordingly

thoughts?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/attachment.php?attid/2860/

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Time to fashion some patches after you cut out the metal until you find good steel. This is not going to be easy...unless you are good moulding sheet metal into complex curves.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Ford had quite a few layers there. Just take your time with the repair and you should be fine. On mine there were about 3 layers there.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Napaguy,If it were me id sandblast the crap outta it and then beat it down with a hammer as best you can and then run selftapping sheetmetal screws to get it flush and weld the crap outta it !!
It all gets covered in seamsealer so whatever you do will be the right thing !!!lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pic is fuzzy sorry bout that. I did some more investigating and the cowl is going to need fixed. That should give me a clear shot of the area that needs patched. There are three layers there..the upper cowl, the lower cowl and the firewall. This repair has me nervous as a long tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs. Wish me luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts