Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tighten that wig nut! At an autocross today I lost throttle on right turns and gained it back on the lefts due to a loose wing nut allowing the front of the air cleaner to slide over the top of the throttle arm. It's an Elelbrock air cleaner that I got with the Pro-Flo 4 and I don't like the looks of it anyway so it's time to make the round HiPo unit fit.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
360 Posts
Tighten that wig nut! At an autocross today I lost throttle on right turns and gained it back on the lefts due to a loose wing nut allowing the front of the air cleaner to slide over the top of the throttle arm. It's an Elelbrock air cleaner that I got with the Pro-Flo 4 and I don't like the looks of it anyway so it's time to make the round HiPo unit fit.

View attachment 761156
I mounted my 14” and have zero clearance issues yet had to modify the base to clear the distributor.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Single post oval air cleaners like to rotate, I had one that would turn no matter how tight the wing nut was. Eventually I figured out two tiny screws at the base would stop it if they straddled a small post on the carb.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That doesn’t look very oval, like the OP’s.
lol right.The OP was stating “ it’s time to make the round HiPo unit fit” and was just adding it can be done and using my car as an example of sorts as with the ProFlo it uses a tall and large distributor that gets in the way. :)

Chris

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
One of the reasons the OEM wing nut has that dimple and the lid has the "detents"...to help it "lock" in place.

·
Registered
925 Posts

View attachment 761156
Another prime case of "just because it fits doesn't mean it will work". Modification headaches.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang man, that’s a picker moment for sure. At least it was lost throttle and not stuck open.
You got that right, I made sure I refreshed myself with exactly where the key was when it started getting funky! My competition was a 71 Camaro with the entire Ridetech catalog installed and it was raining anyway, so I guess it ended up just being humorous story to tell!

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
70 Posts
BadBenz,

Which air filter is that?

-Kyle

·
Registered
360 Posts

·