Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69' Stang coupe that I have been building for a while and it's almost ready to drive. I only have one problem, I don't fit in the car very well at 6'5''. I have seen an article about removing the "seat box" on the floor pan for more room. Has anyone done this?? Any Input??

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I did not remove mine. I lowered them 2" and pushed them back 3", then I put in a longer steering column to compensate for the LeCarra wheel and moved seats. Now I am happy.

Removing the tray completely will change the angle of the seats too much. The front needs to be higher than the back, and the seat should be level from side-to-side, which the floor is not.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i'm 6'4 myself and when i sit down in my cars seats, my knees hit the dash and the steering wheel is in my lap... i think i need to make some mods to my seats too

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know what you mean /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I'm about 6'5" myself and its a struggle getting in and out sometimes, not to mention that my head hits the roof and the steering wheel is in my lap, makes it hard to steer /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
0 Posts
My solution---> 71-73! You could be 6-9 380 and still be pimp cruisin, kickin back, legs fully extended. The STOCK seats in these cars are great IMO. I myself am a pretty big guy at 6-1 and 225 and I have alot of room to spread out. Many of you who don't care for 71-73's probably have never driven in one. Its a lot better than my buddys 66 he got rid of, and just a bit nicer than a 69 and 70 I have driven in. Now the back seat is another story....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I traded a guy a lot of electronic doodads for a Triumph TR6 about a year ago. Now that was something to get in and out of!

I feel a bit cramped in my 65, whereas I felt no restriction at all when I had a 66. Same basic car, other than year, so why the difference? Neither was "tweaked", so I can't understand the big difference in room.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It's a bit snug for me (6' 2")with the seat all the way back, but the real problem is with my wife in the passenger seat. She's over 5' 11", and the non-adjustable passenger seat is too far forward for long ride comfort!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm 6'4" and about 260; my solution is my convertible. Need more room, put the top down. The new Mustangs are really uncomfortable for me.

My first Mustang was a 1971 Sportsroof with 351C and C-6; one of the best cars I have owned. The driver’s seat broke in several places and was a maintenance headache. It was, however, very comfortable to drive. Many people thought it was a Torino and not a Mustang.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I cut my platforms down 2" and moved them back 2". Have yet to drive my "stang at all (not bad for 4 years of owning it!) but the trial fit is very nice. I'm 6'4" btw.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm 6'1" and always felt the 65/66s I've owned were a bit cramped. That is until I bought a regular cab Ranger...holy cow, I felt like a Shriner! Sold the pickup when I brought the fastback out of retirement, and it's felt like a limo ever since!

You never know how good you've got it, till you drive a tiny pickup!

·
Registered
664 Posts
At 6'6" tall, 280 lbs.I had to move the seat down 2" and back 3" in my racer in order to get enough room to be comfortable. Scott

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I took out the "seat box". There is a kind of sub-frame part under there. I think I can make a seat support out of square tube and ditch the original seat box. Hope it works..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have this problem at 6'-4" on my 66 fastback. Since I was not ready yet to modify the seat platform, I removed the adjustable seat tracks and made some custom seat tracks using 1" channel. I sized these to push the seat back an extra 5 inches and also since the channel is very low in hiegt it also dropped the seat approx. 1.5". I used all the existing holes in the seat and pan so that I can always re-install the orginal seat tracks if needed. The only down side is they are not adjustable and therefore only tall folks can drive it which is fine with me..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts