Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My 66 289 is over heating. I have flushed the cooling system, don't have a heater so thats no problem, replaced thermostat, also checked the water pump and its fine. I haven't taken the heads off but know that the head gaskets are on correct not back wards. I let the engine run and the thermostat opens and I look into the resovoir on the radiator and it isn't flowing as fast as it should, its just a slow stream. I am getting a little water coming out of only one tail pipe. I'm thinking I have a cracked head gasket, when the presure builds up in the cooling system it is leaking more into one of the cylinders, taking away from the flow into the radiator. The water in the cylinder is keeping the engine hot, evaporating and getting pushed out with the exhaust, the condensing on the way out the pipe. But the water coming out of the pipe is so little, I'm thinking that maybe My radiator is clogged up by some gunky crap from the previous owner. Water is only flowing down a few on the rows and not getting enough exposure to the fins to cool off in time before re-entering the block. Has anyone had an overheating experience that took them forever to figure out? What steps did you take? Any Suggestions? Please I'm desparate, I have 3 Classic Fords, this one is the closest one to being running. I haven't driven since last September. I'm diing(to drive).

Bart

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
my 289 overheating . Did all the stuff..
Fan shroud
new spacer to move fan closer rad.
new theromstat (160)
check timing etc

no improvement.

Had radiator top and bottom tanks removed core was 60% blocked.
Is now perfect.
could have saved al the time and money.

If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Bart, i have found over the years that if a overheating problem happens, especially on a 'new' vehicle purchase, the first area that i go to is the radiator ! my opinion is that normal or 'base' model fords do not have sufficient size radiators. i concider that i learnt this lesson the way most guys have and you are going thru this now ! about 15-20 yrs ago my 302w [.30 over 11-1 pistons, solid sig erson cam, manifold, ported oval slot heads, hedders, balanced, accel twin piont dist, 4 speed, 3.50 diff ] ford falcon utility did this . to fix it i eventually went down to my friendly ford parts dealer and gave them about $200 [a fair amount of $ in those days]andi got a radiator that was meant for a full size 'fairlane' luxury model that had.. '351c- ps-ac -auto etc etc...' best radiator i ever bought !! no more problems ! i even ran that motor without a fan. had to be careful in traffic of course just as long as the traffic kept moving it wasn't to bad. when i fitted the 351w i added thermo fans ...got sick of driving around traffic snarls here in sydney !! our 66 convert...289 auto... suffers from this same problem, every thing ok, radiator just not big for the job it has to do......my thoughts only... wish you success in solving YOUR cooling problem Larry...time for another prawn on the barbie !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I put a 4 core radiator in today. It runs fine. I can't wait to drive it to school. I bought it as a full parts car. It was advertised good engine bad body $500. My friend John and I took it home, threw a $5 4bbl carb on it and coaxed it to start. It did. We did all the body work and are finally going to get to enjoy it.

Thanks again,

Bart

1 - 5 of 5 Posts