Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 coupe spits out lots of antifreeze after I shut it off. As a result, the car doesn't have enough coolant in the system after a few months, and begins to overheat in traffic. Why wasn't this a problem back in the 60's on these cars? Is there supposed to be an overflow tank on these cars? If not, what are my options? I also don't have a fan shroud, but I believe this also wasnt stock. I want something that looks stock in appearance for my overflow container. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
This was a problem in the 60's as well. As far as I know there was not an option of an overflow. But you can put an aftermarketon. The shroud was an option at least with A/C and they can be purchased today as well. A shroud and 4 row radiator solved the problem on my 64 1/2 except for parades.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well, I don't guess they worried too much about it in the 60's and 70's. I used a polished SS tank from Rodworx (15") and just got it installed yesterday, after the A/C installation. I'm not positive, but you shouldn't be regurgitating unless the radiator is overfull (that's the only time mine ever did it) or very hot.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Not sure about how they came stock, but I put an overflow bottle on mine. You could hide it under the fender if you want to keep the stock appearance under the hood. Just make sure that you hook up the hose that comes from the radiator into the BOTTOM of the overflow bottle and not into the top of the bottle. If you connect the hose to the bottom, it will allow the coolant to be sucked back into the radiator after you shut the car off. If you connect it to the top of the bottle, it will just fill it up each time it overheats and eventually get full and spill out. Click the link in my sig to see a pic of my overflow tank. The hose coming out of the top of it drains to the ground, and the hose from the radiator goes to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've noticed on pictures of overflow tanks there are 2 hose hookups. Is that what the one from Rodworx has? If it has two inlet/outlets how do you hook it up? I thought an overflow tank was just a jug with your overflow hose stuck in.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I got my coolant recovery from Pep Boys for about $7. The tank is mounted in the drivers corner of the radiator support using pre-existing holes. The hose from radiator mounts at the bottom of the recovery tank. The other clear plastic hose runs from the top of the recovery tank straight down to under the car and would dump coolant if the tank got too full. It never does.

Took awhile to figure out why my recovery tank kept using coolant. I must have had an air pocket and I was frequently removing the radiator cap. I didn't keep adding coolant to the recovery tank. Now all is good with the recovery tank half full and pretty much staying that way.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There are 2 fittings on the bottom of mine, the innermost one is for the overflow line from the radiator, to catch that regurge, and the other is in case the tank fills up, it will come out of this one. During operation, the Radiator will suck the fluid back in as it vents air under pressure (through the overflow tube). I have read that by removing excess air from the system, the car will be able to run cooler. I just hated that slop all over my garage floor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If it's not an overheating problem(spitting antifreeze), and if your radiator will handle it, try a higher pressure radiator cap. What do you have now, 13 pounder?
I don't have an overflow bottle now(I plan on getting one later), and I'm not losing any coolant, but I'm using a 16 pound cap. This higher pressure cap will raise the boiling point of the coolant and may solve your problem. Or maybe, you only need to replace the cap you have now. It may be worn out.
The only time I'll lose coolant is when I overfill and let the system "drain" to it's operating level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts