Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a overhead console in my 66 and got to thinking there might be some others who have the same interest?

I was building it to look just like the original 67 fastback console, with the only difference of me wanting to use LEDS instead of light bulbs. The rest of the map light would look the same. Since the fastback consoles are shorter, everyone could enjoy them (Coupes and Fastbacks), including the 67/8 owners. If I was to build the coupe's console, the fastback owners would have to suffer without. I may later do both, but one thing at a time.

I am also thinking of making a modified version for those who don't want the map lights. I was thinking of building one with a gauge pod in place of the map lights. This would house two gauges.

I am building one for myself regardless, but if there is enough interest I may make a few more.

I have only a vague idea on the cost right now, but am estimating a SRP of somewhere around $250 to $275 for a brand new upper console. This would include everything with (maplights or gauges) and of course mounting brackets, and the brushed aluminum insert if so desired! I am also considering a couple of different ways to go, but right now this looks the most cost efficient method.

So whatcha think? Is this something you might use in your car?

Anyone got any better ideas? Throw them out there! I am always willing to change some things for the better of the hobby! Just remember this post is about upper consoles. ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
How about making the front bracket attach to the rearview mounting holes, and the rear to the center hole on the rear headliner trim (the piece that is always missing)? Maybe mount a quartz battery-operated clock (no wires)? And some sort of map pocket/sunglass cubby?

I really like the idea.

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
DEFINATELY! Count me in. You know what would be KILLER, is a shift light! I really don't want to mount a giant tach in my car, but desperately need a shift light. I'm not sure the logistics of that, so it may just be pie in the sky. In any event, though, I'll buy one.

Did you remember to see if you have the right dash pillar trim for my '69?

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you were going to do the dash pod module I would think it would be easy to mount the LED's since they are small enough nowadays. An upper console with guage pod and map lights for my FB would get cash from me quick!!! Mounting the leds in the rear of the console on a swivel would be sooo Kewl!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That would be a cool gift for my Sister! (Especially since the project cash flow will be getting better soon! I'm ready for that trapdoor! yahoo!)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I certainly think it would sell! I've been working on one for my car for a while too. And I too had considered mounting gauges in it. The problem I encountered was the wiring... If you're using electric gauges, then that's easy enough. But if you're wanting to put your mechanical oil gauge or something up there, you may have a challenge hiding those thicker lines.

I've even considered mounting a CD player up there; but weight is the issue. As already mentioned, you'll need to use the rear view mirror and rear windor screws plate for mounting, and I'm just not sure how much stress they could take.

Are you considering woodgrain inserts for those of us with deluxe interiors?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.