Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with overheating while on the road. So I had started by replaceing the hoses and thermostat. Well problem still existed. So I ordered a new radiator and cap. Well when they arrived, the new radiator had been damaged in shipping. I returned the new radiator and just put the new cap on the original radiator and the overheating stopped.
Well, for a 2 week inconvience it was just a $13 rad cap the whole time....Boy do I feel better bout that...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am experiencing an overheating problem right now in my 289 fb. Unlike your car, my temp guage pegs when I am idleing or sitting at a light for too long. It goes back to normal when going down the road. I replaced the water pump and still have the problem. I then flushed the rad, replaced the thermostat(twice) and cap. It now runs a little cooler, but the problem still exists. I'm stumped now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like you're not moving enough air through the radiator. Do you have a shroud? How big and how many blades on the fan? You may need to upgrade these items.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The car has a stock rad, shroud, and 4 blade fan. Nothing on the front of the car or engine has been modified.I found a nice GT grille and fog light set up for it, but am afraid to install them just yet as they may block a little air flow. Sounds silly doesn't it? I am confused.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Get a three row radiator and a six blade fan and you'll solve the problem. The four blade fan just doesn't move enough air. Further, the stock two row radiaitor can just barely keep up in the best of conditions.

John Harvey

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the car is still cool, remove the rad cap and check the flow of fluid rev the engine by hand and the flow should increase, if not your rad may be clogged and need either to be replaced or boiled out. Also check the lower hose hose, sometimes they just collapse over time....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also ordered a 4core rad and a clutch for my fan, only problem is the diameter of the hole for the clutch is too small...I need to find a fan now.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unlike your car, my temp guage pegs when I am idleing or sitting at a light for too long
One cheap and easy thing you could try is to richen up your idle mixture setting. Running too lean can cause excessive heat, and this could possibly account for the problem only happening at idle.

If that's not it, you haven't lost anything for the effort.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jester, speaking of overheating problems, who exactly is your wife's friend ( on your website ) ???
Yowza !!

-Jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.I'll try a different rad and fan. Kinda had my heart set on keeping it original though.I had the cap off while the car is running and have great flow. In the meantime I installed the overflow bottle out of my 70 Torino. It seems to be helping, but again is not correct. I'll pull the rad this weekend and get a larger one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey Quicknick: Before replacing the fan put a piece of paper in front of your radiator. If the fan is pulling enough air, the paper should be drawn to it and not fall. Do you have a fan-clutch? If so, it could be bad. Also, did your setup ever worked correctly?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey Bill,
The engine always ran nice and cool before I pulled the motor this last winter to replace a leaky rear main. While it was out, I replaced timing gear and chain,water pump and thermostat. I cleaned, painted and detailed the engine before the install. I also flushed the radiator.
Nothing I did should have affected the engine temp. If anything, it should run cooler. The fan is a stock 4 blade (no clutch) and I am getting excellent draw through the rad.
I am wondering if the water pump is bad. Just because it's new, does not mean it's good. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts