Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my car has a new water pump, new 3 core radiator, and i have flushed it about 3 times now. I dont even have a thermostat in there. If the car idles for more than 3 mins after its warmed up, the temp jumps. The timing is about 5 degrees advanced. I have edelbrock alum. heads/intake.. so shouldnt that disipate (spelling?) heat better? Do you think my car is just running lean? Im getting kinda mad at this thing.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I dont even have a thermostat in there.
You need a thermastat. The thermostat controls the temp by controling the coolant flow through your radiator. With out a thermostat the coolant just keeps flowing. Once the coolant heats up it's never held back in the radiator long enough to cool it because it just keeps flowing.

I have found that running to small a sta can cause the same issues. I had a very well built 460 in a 70 fastabck and I had trouble driving in city with a 160 stat. I went to a 190 and I was then able to drive in the city with no more getting hot problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
anyone heard of drilling an 1/8" hole in the flat part of the thermostat when first filling/staring up a rebuilt motor?( then replacing it with a new one) My machine shop guy told me it prevents air pockets from keeping coolant from reaching the back cylinders? Any comments?
dennis

·
Registered
359 Posts
anyone heard of drilling an 1/8" hole in the flat part of the thermostat when first filling
Yep. It's a good idea for any engine, and as you said allows you to really fill up the whole engine with water.

At least one of the high-flow thermostats comes with a small notch that achieves the same effect.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just leave the top heater hose off until I get that full, then fill the heater hose,put my thumb over the hose and attach it..Don't ruin a good thermostat that way.
Don

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What trans do you have?If it is an auto..did you check it out? If your trans is overheating it will cause the engine to run hot as well.Just an idea that may be worth looking into since you seem to have all the other bases covered.
Don

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What fan are you using? How close is it to the radiator? Shroud? What's the initial advance set at with and without the vacuum advance hooked up (if present)? Did it do it before the head/intake swap? Intake gasget on backwards covering a coolant passage?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, something i thought was wierd was the performer RPM intake that i have on there doesnt have waterjackets in the back. I set the timing after i did the heads/intake/cam etc... also i have the stock 4 blade fan with no shroud... (havent had the time to go out and find one). But i was thinking of going with dual 11" electric fans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts