Well, once again all the great people here have aided me in repairing my overheating problem.. To sum it up, I pulled the engine last fall, replaced all of the gaskets, detailed the engine compartment, painted the engine and re-installed it.. No rebuild here - good running 65 289 so I just cleaned her up and fixed a few oil leaks.. In the process of the detailing, I noticed the water pump was leaking a bit through the weap hole.. Good enough, so I had a friend at the local auto parts store locate me an original 65 aluminum pump - GREAT - but when I finally got her all back together she was running hot.. Replaced the stat, just for giggles and of course that did not work.. I was questioning myself whether or not I installed the head gaskets backwards - I did not want to say "Please pass the duffas".. My pictures of the project confirmed that I did in fact install the gaskets properly (I have rebuilt over 50 engines and never did this).. So anyhow, my instinct told me to pull that water pump, I did and upon close inspection the impeller clearance to the pump housing was like 1/8" - I ordered another pump, installed it and who-ha, on the road, cool as a cucumber now. I will install a coolant filter, and be on the lookout for a hi-effieciency radiator.. Thanks to all who responded to my concern and HAPPY CRUSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!