Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Someone else will need to verify 65-66, but 67 is attached to the back of the instrument panel I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
apparently it is to give you an accurate reading going around corner, etc. ford was the sole user of this back in the day as they produced this them selfs. the other mopar etc did not use this.
I am sure others will chime in, but I believe 200-210 is the typical range these engines like to run and I don’t know of any other method to get an accurate reading other than a mechanical temp gauge or thermometer. There are some that will use an infrared thermometer, but a lot of debate as to how accurate the moderate to low end ones actually are.
i called flexalite and gave me to ways to test the thermal clutch and i tried and it worked fine. of course they were more than happy to sell me something else. where would you put a thermometer to check temp? have a menards thermal checker and it reads 205 on the upper tank or right on the inlet hose going into the rad. hate keep spending more money at this for sure. has to be something simple i just dont see it. thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well i bought a mechanical temp gauge. just let the engine idle for 45 min and it went up to 235. slow but sure, will come down a little if i increase the rpms. for comparisons i used my thermal gauge on the upper tank and had 230 at the right side of the upper tank away from the inlet hose. the loer hose outlet was 180. doesnt seem right to me, big difference. did see some bubbles in the overflow tank after reving the engine up some. normal when raceing the engine? pulled plugs they are clean. cant smell anything in exhaust. pull the rad and have it checked? this all started all of a sudden.. thanks, rich b

·
Registered
35,904 Posts
well i bought a mechanical temp gauge. just let the engine idle for 45 min and it went up to 235. slow but sure, will come down a little if i increase the rpms. for comparisons i used my thermal gauge on the upper tank and had 230 at the right side of the upper tank away from the inlet hose. the loer hose outlet was 180. doesnt seem right to me, big difference.
Nope. That's not a bad temperature differential between inlet and outlet. In fact, another 10 degrees would be nice... but with insufficient airflow through the core that can be expected. If you have air conditioning and don't have an original "Hot Idle Compensator" that will affect idle speed when hot... the factory added that to raise the idle speed to suck more air through the radiator. Also, run as much spark advance as the engine will tolerate to reduce the temperature of combustion and the amount of waste heat the engine produces.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
so my next step was to get an cooling system exhaust gas detector.. rented one from autozone. warmed the engine up and tried to see if i had exhaust gases present but it did not turn to yellow, great but i held it over the exhaust pipe and tried and nothing happened there. so ill try again in the morning to see if i get any results.thanks, rich b

21 - 28 of 28 Posts