Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut my lower drip away on the pass side just to treat it to kill off any leftover flux from the factory lead seam and to sandblast it so I would not get a bubbling drip rail , splitting at the seam from the roof after a few years .
Do you think Im hitting over-kill ? :)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_641_full.jpg

I also cut ALOT more drip rail off the front than needed , just to be sure I killed the flux up there also . Glad I did as there was a huge pile of surface rust under the drip up where the lead seam is .
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_644_full.jpg

Im soaking it with ospho for the next 2 days and then I will neutralize the ospho with water and spray bomb while waiting for the sandblasting to come .

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
You REALLY don't want to ask me if you're going overkill..... ::

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Is there any other way to treat rust in the seams? It would 'seam' to me that you would need to separate every panel on your Mustang to get it all. Are you doing that or leaving some alone (especially in the rear)?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any other way to treat rust in the seams? It would 'seam' to me that you would need to separate every panel on your Mustang to get it all. Are you doing that or leaving some alone (especially in the rear)?
No , these are it , other than the stuff Ive cut off and replaced . I just don't want to have any rot under the NOS roof panel since when it's goes on it's a done deal .

·
Registered
500 Posts
Overkill is best. I just found lots of rust inside the door jamb support- I was going to just spray the outside with rust inhibitor and forget it. Glad I removed it instead.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
After seeing the work you're doing and have done...I certainly wouldn't construe the drip rail job as overkill.

BTW, in one of the pics, is the radio panel intact? Those always seem to get hacked out, but yours still looks original and unmolsted by the PO. On mine a Buick AM radio fit perfectly inside a hammer and chisel modified opening, requiring a new filler piece. My best guess was my PO opted for a cheap "stereo"!! :puke:

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Just a side note-- I have followed with great interest all 35 or 36 pages you've uploaded on your site-- MY COMPLIMENTS!! I tip my hat to you -- I can only hope when my 67 goes in the shop to get done, it's done with at least some af the attention to detail you've put into the 64 1/2. Mightily impressed! :)

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I have to wonder if you are doing more harm than good when doing this... I mean..... none of my welds on my car are as good as the factory spots. Every time I took off rust, I took off good metal with it. Etc.. Etc.. Etc...

I am now a fan of carefully placed holes and lots of spray cans of eastwood rust encapsulator. Cut only what is structurally weaker.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You passed overkill a long, long time ago. I don't know if there is a word for where you are now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts