Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out that Oxi clean is just awesome for removing chrome! CLearly not what I had intended. WTF???? @#$%#[email protected]#&&^%*$#@!!!!
Ate the chrome right off the plastic. No fuss, no muss. There wasn't even any chrome dust in the pail. Fortunately I found this out on a model, and not the elusive deluxe interior dash bezels that need a good cleaning. Be forewarned, brothers and sisters, or it could happen to you!

G

·
0 Posts
In any case, I've silvered it and am going to put it back on after I get the camera-case black repainted. I couldn't find anyone in our area that rechromes plastic or potmetal, most of what needs rechroming on this 66.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you're talking about the silver coating on the sides of radio or gauge bezels then it's not chrome. It called vacuum metalizing and any strong detergent will take it off.

The following is from www.mrgusa.com :

The aluminum (vacuum metallizing) is only .00005 millimeters thick. So if you use anything abrasive to clean the surface, that scratches the top coat or rubs it off then the aluminum (chrome look) will rub off. We recommend parts that are all chrome and handled a lot, like armrests, to be clear coated with some light coats of enamel. Heavy coats could cause runs. Do not use Lacquer to clear coat. It will dry spray and dull the chrome look. Clear coating is not recommended on dash parts that have semi gloss black or silver on them. The clear will make the part glossy and not look right.

Mr. G's does "rechroming" of plastic parts. I've never used them so don;t know how good they are.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
That's good to know. I almost used oxy clean today on my car after hearing my wife talk about it in amazement. I sure does work too!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I had the same problem with an 81 covette. Took the chrome right off of a plactic piece. Luckyly it was one of your more expensive pieces.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts