Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 98 ranger with a bad o2 sensor (some of the guys called it a "hee-lo" sensor) well this thing does not want to come off at all! any tips on removal?
P.S. It does feel like its welded on with my MAC wrench(its pretty big and does the job most of the time)

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Run the engine and get it real hot , you may have to drive it to get the exhaust temp up . Bring it home and try to break the O2 loose , be careful as obviously EVERYTHING will be hot . Other option is heat the sensor with a torch , both those option might help break it loose . It might not come loose still after that . They can be PITA sometimes .

·
Registered
930 Posts
I work at the Twin Cities Ranger plant and the O 2 sensors are only put in with a Torque wrench and I believe they have some sort of anti-Seize lube on them. If you are having a problem I'd try to heat up the Flange they get screwed into and break it loose that way. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like to find parts on the ranger powersports forums but tech help forums take forever for replys. I didn't want to do it with the engine hot but i did and with minimal burns it was removed. It felt welded on but it was just a PITA and has so crud on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts