Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't want to beat the hell out of my headers (Headman long tube) I suppose I need the bracket to drop the mounting point for the slave cylinder. I have read that some of the brackets are cheap and flimsy. Since I only want to do this once, I thought i'd see if anyone has an opinion? What's the best and where can I get it?
Thanks
Ted

Here's a few I have found.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=PSLB1+01&Category=Suspension+&CatKey=EMUSTANG

65-68 POWER STEERING CYLINDER DROP BRACKET FOR HEADER INSTALLATION

Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus :: Steering :: Power Steering Brackets :: 1965-70 Power Steering Ram Drop Bracket

Hedman Hedders - Brackets

·
Registered
35,868 Posts
It really doesn't matter which one you use, the important part is to weld it to the frame.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, maybe down the line, but I don't have a welder, so it's just gonna have to be really tight :)

·
Registered
35,868 Posts
Why weld it? Ford didn't weld the bracket, it uses bolts and crush nuts.
And the extra length of the bracket doubles the leverage against them, which pulls those crush nuts out of the frame by the roots. Dunno how many times I have seen that. This can have deadly consequences.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd guess that all of the brackets are the exactly the same. The leverage on the bolts is much greater with the drop bracket, and will almost certainly pull the crush nuts out of the frame. My Solution was to drill 2 holes through to the top of the frame rail, and use two long grade 8 bolts through both sides of the frame rail. Lots of years and miles later I have not have a problem.

But that was before I had a welder.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
And the extra length of the bracket doubles the leverage against them, which pulls those crush nuts out of the frame by the roots. Dunno how many times I have seen that. This can have deadly consequences.
Ahhh... Didn't think of that.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
If the frame is weakened by rust welding may not be enough!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, mustangs plus is close, so i'll get it and see what I can do

Thanks
Ted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts