Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 66 with 289 heads. The project this week is installing Classic Air A/c system, which does not require removing the radiator from the engine bay. Hang on... I'm getting to the P/S pump question.

Anyway, since I had a Power steering kit laying around, and since the Bracket for the compressor will use either the Pump bracket or 3/8" spacers when mounted, I decided to try to install the P/S pump bracket at the same time, to get ahead on the next project for the FB.

Anyway, I know that the early cars had a 2-piece PS bracket, and the later cars had a 4 or 5 piece bracket, but even though I disassembled one, I'll be danged if I can figure out how it goes back together. Compounded with the fact that I have 2 different size engine side brackets.

Does anybody have pics of either an early Ford pump bracket installed on a 289, or Later, narrow-neck bracket from late 70's-80's installed on a 302/289 (with a narrow neck).

Anyway, whether or not I install this pump bracket at this time, I decided that I would definitely change out my rusty, funky water pump, which requires draining the radiator (see I came full circle from my first paragraph). Since it is empty, I will take it out to make room for the new 6-blade fan and those LONG bolts. While it is out, I will have it checked by a radiator shop, and cleaned up, maybe recored. Should have it all back together by next Sunday, or so.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Paul - Sent you an email with an attachment that should help.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! thanks

I have the same bracket, but my later pump has a complicated carrier set-up that won't fit into it, and the pully is closer to the housing.

I'll need to find something that fits a little better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts