Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the catalogs all the linkage that has different part numbers, but other than the centerlink, what all actually has to change when converting form power to manual steering on a '65?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=43789295.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
to change from p/s to m/s:

-remove p/s pump and bracket
-remove hoses and hose bracket
-remove center link and ram cylinder frame rail bracket

-replace the driver side inner and outer tie rod with the m/s type and you'll also need to change the adjusting sleeve
-replace the center link with a m/s center link

you can keep your steering box, it's the same one used on p/s and the special handling package(same ratio anyway)

you'll easily be able to recoup the cost of parts by selling your used p/s stuff

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
You only have to change the driver's side inner and outer tie rod? Not the passenger side too? that seems odd...

hmmm...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617246&a=12411361&p=45146549.jpg

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

G

·
0 Posts
yes, just the driver side. the outer tie rod is a different design and both are thicker... thats why you have to change the sleeve also. look in any parts magazine and you'll see different part number for 65/66 power steering tie rods.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It's because the driver side tie rods have to clear the control valve assembly on the p/s equipped cars while on the m/s cars the tie rods can go directly to the spindle from the centerlink (well, almost directly).

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts