Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone. Looking for a little assistance in figuring out an issue I've been having. I had a '66 w/ 289 restored for my wife and basically since day one after getting the car, I've been puking ATF from around the control valve when it has resistance and not on jacks.

I checked connections which appear to be solid. The pump which is used appears to be for 67-70 and not the one which my research shows it should be. So, is there a pressure or volume variance between the two different pumps?

Just wondering if I should change out the pump or rebuild/replace the control valve.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Leaking at the control valve = rebuild or replace the control valve.
I'd also check the hoses to make sure the fittings are tight in the control valve.
Check the hose fittings at the flare fittings on the ends of the lines to make sure the flare isn't split or bunged up from a bad install, make sure the mating surface of the flare fitting in the control valve is in good shape, not boogered up so the flare fitting on the line can mate to it and seal correctly.

HTH

·
Registered
27 Posts
To my understanding, the control valve has replaceable aluminum seats for the hoses that connect to it. Rebuilders replace these, but they don't seem be be supplied in any of the kits, nor can I find them sold anywhere,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had one with a crushed return tube that was leaking from the control valve. When I replaced the return tube, no more leak.

Every now and then you get lucky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe National Parts Depot sells the control valve seats.
I highly recommend rebuilding YOUR control valve and NOT running with a reproduction.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts