Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the various posts and still have a question. I bought a new alt harness for my 65 as mine was garbage. I got it hooked up as instructed but on the repo alt harness there is a double black/ yellow stripe wire that does not connect to anywhere.

my car has been converted to gauges and the original ammeter induction wire is connected and just sits behind the dash.

So, what, if anything do I do with the double black/yellow wire (joined at one eyelet)?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I believe the yellow with the eyelet goes to the output of the alternator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yellow does. This is a black wire with a yellow stripe. There are two wires joined at one eyelet. It’s short which makes me think it would have connected to the back of an original style alternator. I don’t know if I should ignore or if this has something to do with powering gauges????

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
It sounds like you have a Ford 2G harness, Do you have the original alternator or has it been switched out for a newer 2G?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t know what 2 G means??? I had an original style alternator, switched to the PA Performance 90 amp. My alt wires originally on the car were garbage so I bought a new wire set for a car with gauges.

given how short the black/yellow wire (on the ford alt harness) is it would seem to have connected to somewhere on an original style alternator. I can’t find any mention of what, if anything, to do with those wires now that I have installed the PA alternator.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Ford had 3 types of alternators, the first ones were known as a 1G or generation, the 2G also known as the "Fire Starter" and the 3G. There are newer versions, but for this conversation we will just stay with the 1 through 3 G types. the 1G was the first, its output was around 65Amps on a good day. and was installed on just about everything up to around 1979, then they went to the 2G The 3G is what everyone wants, they start out at 95 amps and go up from there.
Here is a wiring schematic for the 2G. Note the two black/orange wires connect to the batt.
also the yellow wire connects to the batt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That helps, now I understand the comment. So do I connect to the bat terminal or just ignore? I really appreciate the helpful advice!!!

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang Convertible
1 Posts
switched to the PA Performance 90 amp.
Did you get the 1614E (comes with 1V single-groove pulley) or 1614L (with v-belt pulley option). Did the alternator come clocked correctly to use the factory mount without any modifications?

I emailed sales support asking what the clocking is of the PA Performance, and asked if they could re clock it to 7:00 for me and they said "If your clocking positions are based on how the alternator is oriented on the car then the alternator would already be at that clocking."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was clocked fine. Slipped right in and has a single pulley. I swapped the pulley off of the original alternator as it was slightly larger and I did not want to over rev the new alternator.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am using the 130amp with a single V pulley. Clocked Stock as delivered. The output contact is close to the block/heads but not touching. I think I dremmeled the stud flush with the nut though….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,779 Posts
Yellow does. This is a black wire with a yellow stripe. There are two wires joined at one eyelet. It’s short which makes me think it would have connected to the back of an original style alternator. I don’t know if I should ignore or if this has something to do with powering gauges????
The BLK/YEL wire that has a long and short goes as follows...

Eyelet at the junction between the 2 wires goes to the "BAT" on the back of the alternator.
Large eyelet on the end of the long wire goes to the battery-common side of the starter solenoid.
Short wire goes to the radio noise-suppression capacitor which mounts to the back of the alternator.

If there is any chance that you'll be getting rated amperage from your new alternator I'd be very hesitant in using that long wire as your alternator output wire as its capacity is probably around 75-80 amps, tops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts