Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

Going off the recommendation of this site and ordered this for my 66 289 T-10 Starters - Mustang - 65-78 Mustang M/T - PA Performance.com and the front is just a tiny bit too big to fit into the engine plate. I know the plate isn't damaged and the starter I pulled out is the original one. Think it may be possible that it wasn't machined enough?

Thanks!!
Chris

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again!

Obviously for those who did not know the difference(and are reading this), pull your starter in advance and see what you have lol

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
My San Jose '65 with a factory installed T10 had a 157T (actually it was a 160T) and uses the long nose starter with the exposed drive gear. Is that the one you needed?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My San Jose '65 with a factory installed T10 had a 157T (actually it was a 160T) and uses the long nose starter with the exposed drive gear. Is that the one you needed?
It looks like it will be the automatic starter, not exposed...It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know :)

Chris

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
You would think that even PA Performance wouldn't have simply copied the same misprinted information the aftermarket has been using for the last 50 years regarding SBF starter applications..... there is no such thing as a "manual" starter or an "automatic" starter. The difference is strictly in what size ring gear (flywheel/flexplate) is used.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
It looks like it will be the automatic starter, not exposed.
The so called "automatic" starter is the one with the long nose and the exposed drive gear. It fits both 157T flywheels and 157T flexplates.
The so called "manual" stater has the short nose and the recessed drive gear. It fits 164T flywheels.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. This is the only pic I have, I’ll look at it in the morning. But it’s the original starter. Hopefully I get the right one.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,670 Posts
This is the money shot you are after. Original on the bottom of coarse. This was what I was given 1st when I told the guy I had a 4 speed with 157 tooth flywheel. And like a lot of us this begins my Ford starter education. Btw, parts guy insisted it would fit my car even after I brought it back.

And here is the correct one. I followed @Woodchuck advice and asked for a starter for a 94 3.8L Mustang. Bazinga

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here’s a side shot

so now I know what an exposed gear is given the above reference shot. Well I already spent the money but good to know next time once I put a 5 speed in her with a new flywheel.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, it was the "automatic" starter that I needed. Thank you everyone for your help!! I love how fast it spins the engine and how it sounds!

Chris

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,102 Posts
Congrats, thats the one in my Mustang, 1806. It definitely sounds different then the original. A higher pitch sound when starting and spins faster for sure. I bought mine from PA Performance as well but from their Bargain Bin for $69. :) Been working well for the last 6 months.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
This is the money shot you are after. Original on the bottom of coarse. This was what I was given 1st when I told the guy I had a 4 speed with 157 tooth flywheel. And like a lot of us this begins my Ford starter education. Btw, parts guy insisted it would fit my car even after I brought it back.

And here is the correct one. I followed @Woodchuck advice and asked for a starter for a 94 3.8L Mustang. Bazinga

For clarification, the starter for a 3.8L 1994 Mustang with MT is correct for a 1966 with 4spd and 157 Tooth flywheel?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Thank you so much!!! Theres my problem, I have one of the odd balls besides having a T-10 lol. San Jose cars...

Chris
That's not an oddball, that's how Ford did it.

There were two starters for the small block Ford

short nose for the 164th manual transmission cars
long nose for everything else

The problem is PA Performance's listing is incorrect when they throw the "automatic" and "manual" labels on their starters. This also comes from parts catalogs that have been wrong going way back to the 70's. Ford didn't help matters since many non-Mustang vehicles in the 60s used either the 157 or 164 tooth flywheel depending upon the options. The Mustang used the 167th flywheel and flexplate (and the "automatic" starter) until the 302 was introduced in '68. Ford then switched to the larger 164th flywheel for all small blocks in the Mustang through 1973, which required the short nose "manual" starter.

PA is clearly aware of the issues, as they have comparison pictures, but have made no effort to clarify the applications, which just leads to PO'd customers.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,670 Posts
For clarification, the starter for a 3.8L 1994 Mustang with MT is correct for a 1966 with 4spd and 157 Tooth flywheel?
Carquest website didn't reference that part number as either auto or manual application so I assumed the same starter would fit both applications. It works great for my 157 tooth bell. By the way part # 3205S is a remanufactured starter while 3205SN is a new starter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts