Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the unique features of the 64.5 pace car? Just curious. I've never seen one up close, but I think that is one of the most interesting and collectible stangs around, including Shelby's.

Were they all coupes?

Anyone cloning them?

P.S. Nice car sdgrant

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 66emberglow on 03/22/01 12:42 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
the most predominant feature is the paint color... Pace Car White which was only unique to Pace Cars as color code 'C'

there were some convertibles, but most of them were coupes.

i guess you could clone one, but to when it came time to sell, without documentation you would have a hard time convincing prospective buyers.

i'd like to find one one day and restore it. I'd also like to find a 64.5 K code convertible /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Beyond the 'C' code for the paint the other ID is the acid etching on the radiator core support just to the right of the hood latch bracket. The PACE lettering is visible while CAR is hidden behind the bracket.

Only the pace car hardtops (around 190 built) were Pace Car White, specially painted as such for a dealer district contest. The convertibles were painted regular Mustang code 'M' Wimbledon White.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1489392&a=11228117&p=42923281.jpg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Jim Smart and Jim Haskell (an original Pace Car owner) have a good write up in their book Mustang Production Guide.

The early Pace Car convertibles came in two varieties: 35 Wimbledon White D-code cars with red, white, or blue interiors, 4-spd. or auto., were quickly retrieved from local Indianapolis dealerships, had stripes and lettering decals applied, and given to race dignitaries to use during May. After the race, high demand for the new Mustang forced Ford to auction them to their dealers for distribution. Only 3 are known to survive today. I schmoozed my way into the storage basement at Indy a few years ago to see the one they have in storage. Blue interior, rally pack, and a console. It's in decent shape, but the motor area could use a cosmetic touch-up.

Three 260 V8 Wimbledon White convertibles (5F08F100240, 5F08F100241, and 5F08F100242) were sent to Holmann & Moody of North Carolina for race preparation. They were NOT given the stock Hi-Po K-code motor of the time, but they were given 289 engines treated to many of the same upgrades, along with ported and polished heads and a Borg-Warner 4-speed. Suspension mods like lowered springs and low-profile leafs were done to handle the high-speed corners. An MCA judge in Florida has recovered one of these cars.

The Pace Car coupes were awarded to dealers as part of a sales contest. 5 cars were awarded to the winning dealers in each of the 36 sales districts (DSOs). However, ties in the sales contest required an additional 10 or so cars produced in early May. All the coupes were 260 V8 automatic cars with power steering, AM radio, back-up lights, and padded visors. They were painted a unique Pace Car White color (color code C) that was brighter than the creamy Wimbledon White, and they all had a standard white vinyl interior with blue appointments. There was nothing mechanically unique about these cars. Of the original 190 cars, about 43 have been rediscovered, about 27 are still operable, and 9 have been restored to original condition. The radiator support received a hand-written PACE CAR marking that was painted over later in assembly. Some texts say the hood on the coupes was a '65 style without the '64½ lip, but they were actually the standard '64½ hood that preceded the "lipped" variety. My hood is original, "unlipped," and date-stamped 4 3 3D.

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572046&a=11947204&p=42951236&Sequence=3.jpg

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts