Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 mustang has a package tray with a rear single center speaker in it. When doing some research for any upgrades all I can find are package trays with 2 holes for speakers (left and right) or no holes, nothing for a single center hole. This car is pretty dang stock so I’m wondering if a single center speaker was normal? If so, are there any package tray replacements for it or do I just make/customize my own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Take a pic of it....so we can see if its original..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
34,344 Posts
Do you have a knob under the dash for the Ford Reverb unit?

Anyhow... carefully remove your old package tray, take some rough measurements and run to Lowe's/Home Depot.... I usually check their "damaged" area where busted stuff ends up or, if nothing there, their "project boards" and grab a suitable piece of hardboard or MDF, use your old package tray as a pattern and make your own.

Just don't cover it in shag or kittie fur....

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've made these in the past, but the ones for our cars are so cheap I just bought one. FYI, the TMI ones are covered in vinyl instead of painted fiberboard. I think it looks better, but is a little more difficult to cut holes in. You just need to cut out the vinyl first, then use a jig saw.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This car is pretty dang stock so I’m wondering if a single center speaker was normal?
Not common. "Common" was to have a single mono 4x10 speaker up front for playing the AM radio.

If so, are there any package tray replacements for it or do I just make/customize my own?
I don't think you're going to find a replacement that has a single cut-out. This is for two reasons: a) the market is very small and b) it is so easy to mod a common "no cut-outs" package tray.

Easiest replacement strategy is to buy a tray with no holes and, as mentioned up thread, trace the cut-out shape on it and cut it out with a jig saw.

Second easiest strategy is to do as mentioned up thread, and get some MDF from your favorite hardware store/lumber yard and, using your existing one as a template, make a duplicate. It's an enjoyable 1-hr project in your workshop.

Buy at least one can of spray primer and at least one can of spray paint. If you skip the primer, then buy 4 cans of paint- that MDF sucks it up.

Remember: the pattern side goes up and the smooth side goes down. This prevents glare.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You may want to replace the thin felt pad between the metal deck and the MDF package tray. Also, if that one center speaker doesn't work, or even if it does, it's a good time to upgrade it to a center channel or woofer with that vintage appeal without cutting the metal below.

·
Registered
34,509 Posts
Buy at least one can of spray primer and at least one can of spray paint. If you skip the primer, then buy 4 cans of paint- that MDF sucks it up.
Betcha a coat of shellac would seal it perfectly, spray cover in one coat.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I made my own about 1990 for my HT with thin Masonite. I cut two oval holes for 6"x9"s & covered the entire panel with matching fabric to hide the speakers underneath. The metal tray was already butchered so i butchered it more 🙂. The fabric still looks nice. Dean

·
Registered
765 Posts
I bought a new package tray from CJs without holes and cut two for my new setup. It was super easy and the tray was cheap. I went smooth side up because I was covering it in fabric anyways.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Side note: for those that screwed the corners of your trays down, do you have any pics? I think I’m going to have to do that and need ideas how to finish it nicely.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Side note: for those that screwed the corners of your trays down, do you have any pics? I think I’m going to have to do that and need ideas how to finish it nicely.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The tray should sit under the bottom edge of the rear glass weather strip, pop into a notch on either side against the headliner, and it has two thin metal clips that it rests in that are clipped to the metal package tray, behind the back edge of the top of the rear seat.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The problem is I’m getting really bad bowing of the tray because the seal is pushing down on the rear of the tray. With the rear seat installed it’s not has bad but still noticeable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a knob under the dash for the Ford Reverb unit?

Anyhow... carefully remove your old package tray, take some rough measurements and run to Lowe's/Home Depot.... I usually check their "damaged" area where busted stuff ends up or, if nothing there, their "project boards" and grab a suitable piece of hardboard or MDF, use your old package tray as a pattern and make your own.

Just don't cover it in shag or kittie fur....

You are on to something! I started researching the Ford “Reverb” units and found out that yes, Ford started offering a Reverberator as an upgrade option in 1962.

The 1962-66 units were Motorola R200 Vibrasonic units and were factory options or dealer installed. These usually had a control knob installed somewhere under or near the dash and basically provided a delay (reverb effect) to the rear and front speakers. So upon installation some first generation mustangs got a single, center rear speaker.

From 1965 Mercury salesman product book:

“The unit is controlled by an independent on-off switch (I do have a little chrome metal switch mounted under my dash). When “off” the speaker or speakers operate in a normal matter. Control of sound apportionment between the front and rear speakers including the reverberator is by the conventional fader control on the radio. Dealer installed.”

Pretty interesting stuff. I am not positive if that chrome switch on mine is the on-off switch mentioned above but it seems to make sense. I can’t find a control “knob” if any kind but if the effect was run from the radio “fader” I’m not sure I’d find one?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take a pic of it....so we can see if its original..

:eek:)

Tony K.

See my reply above to woodchuk explaining more of what I found. Here is a pic of the single speaker. Sounds like these were installed as a dealer upgrade on some fords in the 60s

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not common. "Common" was to have a single mono 4x10 speaker up front for playing the AM radio.

I don't think you're going to find a replacement that has a single cut-out. This is for two reasons: a) the market is very small and b) it is so easy to mod a common "no cut-outs" package tray.

Easiest replacement strategy is to buy a tray with no holes and, as mentioned up thread, trace the cut-out shape on it and cut it out with a jig saw.

Second easiest strategy is to do as mentioned up thread, and get some MDF from your favorite hardware store/lumber yard and, using your existing one as a template, make a duplicate. It's an enjoyable 1-hr project in your workshop.

Remember: the pattern side goes up and the smooth side goes down. This prevents glare.

Thanks for the info! Please see some of the info I mentioned above after further research. You are right, it wasn’t common but not unheard of as it sounds like it was a dealer upgrade in the 60s on some fords.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When I painted my new package tray (rough side out), I did one coat of gray filler primer and it only took 1 can of interior paint to finish it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
To answer the OP's initial question, yes, the 1966 Mustangs (as well as the 1965's) were set up for to accommodate a single rear speaker. And contrary to what may have been implied, one did not have to purchase the StudioSonic (Reverberator) Accessory in order to get a Rear Speaker. They were available as "stand alone" Accessories.

I have attached copies from the 1965 and 1966 Accessory Catalogs showing, and/or referencing these Kits. However, if you have a 1965, be careful ; the Accessory Catalogs were usually printed for Model Introduction, and as such, the C3AZ Kit shown is only for the 19655's with Generators. When they switched to Alternators, the C5AZ Kit was used, and continued to be used for 1966.

I have attached copies of two Instruction Sheets from the C5AZ Kit ; the first is of "generic" nature, and the second is specifically for the Mustangs (this sheet would also apply for 1966 Mustangs). Note that besides the Rear Speaker, the Kit include a Fader Switch, and Speaker Grill with trim ring.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts