Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through a recent issue of Mustangs and Fords, and I saw what appears to be a great looking EFI kit from a company called Retrotek Speed. Visiting their website, I saw another product that interested me a little more. A Paddle Shift kit, just like Formula 1 and a growing number of high-end luxury sportscars. They say it works with over 20 different types of automatic transmissions, including the C4. It doesn't look like it'd have a problem mounting behind my steering wheel either.

Can you imagine looking at the interior of a vintage 'stang, seeing carpet where the stock shifter would be, and seeing these odd little paddles on the backside of the steering wheel. Talk about restomod, it almost makes me wish I was replacing my C4 with an AOD instead of a T5.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
$1400???? ouch!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
There was a write up in the latest Mustang&Fords magazine about that EFI setup. Sounded cool, supposedly that computer controler is so spot on that there is not a need for a return line, sure would make for an easy install.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
This brings to mind the old push button trans like the Edsels and Dodge products used. I always thought it would be neat to do something like that to a mid-'60s Fairlane. I think the electronics are up to the tasks now so it should be possible.

Or just say screw DIY and go with the paddle shifter kit if someone brings it to market for our old Fords.

Dean T

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Mooneyes has a pushbutton setup that's somewhat cheap, hmm...

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
"So spot on..." ?

Virtually every new fuel injection system uses a returnless fuel system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Autoworks International has installed the T-5 paddle shift systems on both the Obsidian '67 show car and also on the shop '67 coupe that they took on Power Tour this year. The system seems to work very well.

Also, the Fuel Injection system is really cool. For the casual observer, it is hard to tell from a Demon carb. However, just replacing a Holley carb with this kit really smoothed out the idle on a 347 with a fairly radical cam as well as picking up power over most of the RPM range. The carb was not as well tuned as we had thought it was. :shocked:

Easy installation and runs very nice now. Now to get one of these injection systems for my car.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yep I checked out the Autoworks Display at last years GOODGUYS Show at Del Mar.
$2500 for a set up that would handle a t-5 to a TKO.
The set up shifted very smooth.
I think it was clutch-less also. Basically a 5 speed manual shifted manual/auto.
The clutch was just used to start the car.
Personally I like having a left leg calf bigger than the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts