Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to get an AOD for $895 (price awaiting confirmation). Is the C-4-to-AOD swap worth it? Hidden gotchas? Presently, I'm considering a T-5/Tremec conversion kit from Modern Driveline but this represents a significant savings opportunity. One drawback is my previous experience w/an AOD in a 90 T-bird SC. TIA.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I installed one along with quite a few other vmfr's like Johnpro, Mine worked fine but I made a mistake in the rebuild process that caused me a setback. Personally I think you will be happy if the tranny is rebuilt properly.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I have an AOD in my daily driver (a '65 coupe). Around town, I find that I usually drive it in the non-OD shift position since by the time it shifts into 4th I'm usually slowing down and it just has to shift back down again. I've also noticed that the thing seems to be hesitant about kicking down sometimes (like going up a hill when I'm already in 4th) and I end up manually downshifting into 3rd when that happens. If I did alot of open highway/interstate driving I'd definately say go with the AOD, but around town you won't be in 4th enough to affect your gas mileage very much, and all that 3-4 and 4-3 shifting will eventually wear something out (as I understand it) if you leave it in the normal drive position. The switch is not that bad, as has been posted about atleast 100 times by now. You'll need a torque convertor for the AOD also (the C-4 one won't work as I understand it). If you're running a hot cam, that means an aftermarket stall convertor ($200-300 for a cheap one depending on brand and model). Figure the Windsor Fox cross member, shifter linkage, TV cable (or the Lokar cable from Summit, same thing but cheaper), and bolt kit into the cost of the project. If I had to do it again I probably would make the switch, but since I did it as part of a 289 to 351 swap I ended up with like $200 in the used tranny (supposedly recently rebuilt with low miles...supposedly...), plus $300 for the stall convertor (B&M 2400 RPM stall), plus somewhere around $300 for the other stuff (cross member, TV cable, etc). I still need to shell out $100 for a good shift kit. I plan to buy a performance built AOD when this one craps out, since I'm running it behind a fairly strong 351W. That will cost $2000 or a little more depending on which options I go for.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "worth it". Overdrive has a certain coolness factor about it, and you will save money on gas but realistically not enough to pay for the conversion in any reasonable amount of time. If you drive primarily in stop and go traffic it won't do you much good. If you drive in a spirited manner it may make the car a little less fun to drive. If you spend some time on the freeway and want to turn 2000 RPM instead of 3000, I say go for it. Good luck whatever you decide and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
657 Posts
I love mine, but I paid a LOT less than that for it. The driveability is so much better. I'd recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Sid,
The T-bird SC AOD is the best ford put out in the way of AODs. If you did not like that one then forget the idea. I rebuilt a AOD from a 92 SC for my cougar and love it. I purchased a F150 in Dec. 1982 that had a AOD and a 2 BBl carb. I sold it with 144K miles on it in 15 years and the tranny held up OK. With the F150 i would ALWAYS pull down the shifter one click to lock out OD when in town. I never do this in the cougar as I used a Baumann shift kit to tweek it and also have a very good adjustment on the Throttle feedback cable.
If you are thinking about a Manual conversion.....it may be the way for you. I sure like the 3.50 gears and AOD with 351 Windsor in the cougar though. John

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Look around more for a better price. (just my .02) I got my '91 AOD out of a GT mustang. For the price you mentioned, I bought my initial AOD rebuilt with a shift kit, custom 2800 stall convertor and the lokar stuff for about the same price as you mentioned. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, so I really can't comment on if I like it or not. Good luck with the project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts