Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I want to paint the topcoat of primer tomorrow, I had to get busy today sanding what I sprayed on the underside last weekend. It's looking really good, sanding well, and I'm pleased with the results. I just wish it didn't take so long to sand, I spent about five hours under there today. I probably have another hour to sand tomorrow yet.

The biggest problem I ran into--literally--is that I was sanding while lying on a creeper. At one point, I slid over to reach an area and slammed my left leg just below the hip into the release lever on the jackstand. I managed to hit the exact spot where the metal hip implant is in the bone. I didn't realize it would still hurt like heck, if I did that. It does, boy, does it ever. I could feel it all the way up into my hip. Then, to top things off, I smacked my right wrist into the other jackstand and have a big bruise and lump started already. Oh well, at least I'm still making progress. :)

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Laurie,
You are starting to sound like me. My body hurts here, my body hurts there. Can't we age with respect?

I feel for ya.

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's what alcohol is for, drinking, not rubbing. :lol:

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I'm a schoolteacher, and some of our school shirts for the students says "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Oh Right!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't know that it is so much age as the ridiculous positions you subject yourself to under the body. I spent about an hour tonight under mine, scraping undercoatin off, and prepping to weld my floors in, (I had some under coating catch fire welding my firewall patch in, and it was nasty) and my body hurts from the work. Maybe some yoga would help, but I am not motivated enough to put the time and effort in. LOL

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After working underneath the car for almost two years now, I'm kind of used to it. But I still keep forgetting about the jackstands. ;)

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Laurie,
Try to be more careful, that hurts. By far the worst thig I ever did when working under cars was when I was working as a mechanic for a living & had the lift a little to low & turned to walk out from under the car & hit my head on one of the lift arms supporting the car. You see stars. That hurts. :p

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, I don't know how many times I've smacked my head on the jackstands, too. If I had any sense, I would wrap some towels around them, but since I'm painting, it would be a mess.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Have you ever hit your head on,oh I don't know,the pinion yoke then jerked it away and hit the electric fuel pump then jerked away again and hit the pinion yoke again?
Now that hurts,twice.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Laurie why bother with jackstands, do it this way, much more convenient and you won't bang your head all the time.. ;)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/musman69/wood_jack.jpg

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Oh and by the way, Happy Birthday....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts