Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I searched and read the posts. Should'nt have, I was all set on which one to go with, now I'm all confused. All other things being equal which company has the best product out of the box?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
EZWiring? $160 for a 21-circut kit! :: Supposed to be equal to Painless as well.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
768 Posts
Something to keep in mind, the Painless (maybe others) use one single wire loom from front to back, and the stock uses dash, instrument, underhood and tail light looms etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
All other things being equal which company has the best product out of the box?
I am reading that as "regardless of price", if that was your intent my vote goes with the ones from Painless Performance. I bought the 18-circuit one with trunk mounted fuse-box, the quality is definitely there, but so was the high price. My only real complaint is that the instructions were a little vague, but to an expert they are probably not even needed.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Im in the middle of rewiring my whole car i chose the ron francis kit XP-727 im a novice when it comes to electrical stuff.The tech back up i had from ron francis was fantastic they answered all my queries and made it so simple.The kit is excellent quality well laid out fuse panel.regards javed all the best for 2006

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used Painless for both the chassis wiring and a 5.0 efi wiring conversion for my '67. Both were extremely easy to install, although I agree with Edbert, the directions were vague..

·
Registered
287 Posts
I used the Painless 18 circuit universal. I would agree the instructions are somewhat vague but you can figure it out. The hardest part is getting the wires routed where they go. After that its just a matter of terminating.

This may sound a little strange but I laid the wiring harness out on the floor next to the car and took apart all the bundles. I then rebundled the wires according to where they were going on the car and kind of laid them out in the general direction of where they go. For instance all of the tail light, rear turn signal, electric fuel pump, and dome light went in the same bundle. I just left the dome light off on the way back to the rear of the car. I didn't get it right the first time but I left everything loose in the bundles so I could remove and add as needed.

I mounted the fuse box above and slightly to the right of the gas pedal. My battery is going to be in the trunk so I have the main power cable coming down the passenger side. My rear wiring harness for the tailights etc goes down the drivers side.

My front wiring runs out on the drivers side of the car through a 1" piece of flexible conduit mounted to the under side of the fender bolts. That way you can't see it and its protected. The other end comes out in the drivers headlight area. I modified the front headlights slightly to use relays for the headlights. The headlight switch activates the relays and I have power wires running to each relay from the fuse box.

I'm not done with the wiring yet since I had to take a hiatis from working on the car so I haven't tested it yet. But this is the third car I have done with a painless universal and all have worked out very well.

Wow I just checked the price at Speedway motors and the 18 circuit universal has gone up almost $100 since I bought my a couple of years ago.

I have heard good things about the Ron Francis stuff too so I may give him a try on the next car.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts