Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which harness to buy. If I buy the direct Fit harness, is it true "plug-n-play" or will I have to change out some of the ends? Also, is there any room in the harnes for future mods, like electric windows and locks, or are all of the circuits in use, so I would ave to splice to add components?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I bought the universal one. but i would think that it is aplug and play for the direct fit. i would call painless tech and talk it over.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm knee-deep in putting in the direct fit harness and so far I only have two complaints:

The pass-through openings in the firewall aren't connectors like the stock harness. You have to open a 1-1/4" hole in the firewall in the same locations and use a plate (supplied with the kit) to cover the opening. The grommets supplied were REAL small, making it difficult to get the connectors through.

Second complaint is that the pigtail from the alternator to the voltage regulator is too short (about 6-8 inches) so I'm going to have to solder in more wire to make it look right.

The only other thing worth mentioning is in regards to the directions - they were confusing in that it recommended pushing the connectors from the underdash harness through the firewall, but this means you have a connector exposed in the engine compartment.

Other than these quibbles, it seems like a direct "plug-and-play" harness with the appropriate connectors for headlights, dash lights, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts