Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When going from a non-shaker to a shaker hood for a '69-'70 Mach I, I have three options (BTW - my hood originally had the factory 'non-functional' scoop with turn signal holes):
(1) use my original hood (filling in the turn signal holes) -- requires only paint of center area.
(2) get a straight used hood (without turn signal or hood latch holes) and paint the whole thing
(3) get a repro hood (without turn signal or hood latch holes) and paint the whole thing

Does anybody have experience with option 1, and how did you fill in the holes? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sell the one you have and purchase a good used hood.....(without the mach 1 holes) and buy a shaker template and cut the cutouts
once you measure the location make sure it isn't out of alignment.

Then use a blue paint to paint the areas to be cut out and proceed to cut....

a little bit at a time so you dont warp the sheetmetal on the hood..... and then dremel the edges smooth so you don't have jagged edges.

Then you can ponder in agony about spending the $1600 everyone wants for a shaker.

:)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The hood on my son's '65 had hood pin holes cut in it by a PO (and he did a -poor job at that). I welded some sheet metal to the underside, ground the welds down really and filled with bondo. It came out fantastic, and you'd never know the old holes were there. Turn signal holes, however, will be much bigger, so could present more of a problem.

You have to be real careful, welding on the hood, also, as it will warp the hood if you get too much heat on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts