Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scraping the paint off my 66 coupe, which has a paint code showing Sahara Beige, But! The base coat is clearly white, then the Sahara Beige then the outside coat being white again. I am sure that it had been repainted for the outside coat as it wasn't a quality paint, almost looks brushed on :( Could it be that it was a mistake, then they repainted it beige over the white to make it right? Or were they all base coated white? What do you think?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are you talking about the primer coat under the color?

G

·
Keep in mind you are working on a 41 yr. old car that could have been stripped and repainted numerous times. Are you looking at the unibody or a bolt-on body piece? Generally there was a base epoxy primer followed by a gray sealer coat on exterior facing panels and then paint.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was scrapping the side of the car and roof, the white is fairly thick for the base coat I don't think it would be a primer but I don't know these things. I have talked to the original owners son and he said his dad bought it new and it was white from what he could remember, I am the third owner the previous owner had new floor pans put in it, along time ago, which have rusted out, poor workmanship, they didn't seal the joints and it started rusting from between the metals. I suppose the 2nd owner repainted it white when they did the pan replacements. It just doesn't make sense to me, unless the base white is just that, a primer white then the beige, then it was painted white early in its life, and the son was too young to remember when it was beige. If there had been several owners before me I wouldn't even had consider it being original paints and that it could have been painted and stripped to what ever. I think I will get in contact with the second owner and quiz him a bit.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Bottom Line (from experiance) don't trust PO's ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts