Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a 66 shelby convertible clone gt 350...not trying to be exact, just close enough for my own enjoyment.
What color is used to simulate the bare metal ends of the lower control arms??..I tried a cast gray...and an aluminum...one seems too dull..the other too bright..
I spotted some pics in the CJ Ponyparts catalog....they look to be in between the 2 colors I have tried
Help Please!
Also in the CJ catalog...they show the upper control arm painted a dull gold on the ends...is this correct?? I know I have seen NOS control arms and have never seen them painted gold
Thanks
Barry in NC

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Eastwood detail gray

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have also seen "Stainless Steel" paint that is inbetween iron and aluminum.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The original arms were bare on the ends as the paint was applied by dipping the part. You can simulate the look by using a clear coat with a satin or semi-gloss finish, that should be close to the look of bare metal and still prevent rust. The gold color you saw was probably just a tarnish on the bare metal, but it may have been an oil based rust inhibitor also.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Spray with the aluminum and then "mist" the cast gray over the top of it. You should be able to achieve the shade you want. This also works well with black paint when you want a glossiness in between satin and gloss - spray with gloss and mist the satin over it.

When I say "mist", I mean to spray the piece from about 2 feet away with a very light coat. This allows some of the base color to show through. You would think that this would give a mottled appearance but actually it works quite well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...
As for the GOLD painted upper control arms...does anybody know why they would show them this way in the CJ Ponyparts book??...I guess I should call them and ask...
but I wanted feedback form all you experts out there...
I really appreciate all the input
Barry in NC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts