Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted yesterday, this weekend I'm going to be helping to paint a friend's 65 'vert. We just discovered that he did a doofus when he put the primer coat on the car. Instead of using thinner, he accidentally used reducer. He said it looks really good, but we're a little worried about it. We'll be painting with acrylic enamel--will this doofus cause a problem? It took us almost a year to convince him to let us repaint his car and we sure don't want to have a problem now. Please, paint experts, reassure me!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
He probably got by with it. If the primer went on ok and looks smooth I would test a panel with the color coat and see what happens. If the primer lifts then its re-sanding and sealing...
Better yet if there is a old panel he can primer with the same formula and then test paint then he should do that...Good luck..

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I posted the question there, too!

·
Registered
131 Posts
If it were me I don't think I would take the chance to carry on they were not made to use together.It I think will sand gumy when you get it ready for paint.But to throw a screw into the mix I haven't put laquer primer under an enamel topcoat in 15 years,laquer-enamels are two totally different products and shouldn't be used together.The primer of my choice is a high build this is cured with the use of a hardener.Let that cure sand it lay on 3 to 4 coat of base coat then 3 to 4 coats of clear sand and polish if needed done.You will end up with 10 times nicer job and with using these better products the finished job will last that much longer.Now this is just my opinion on how I do it I hope it helps.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Did he blocksand the primer? If it gummed up the sandpaper he might have a problem. Try a hidden area and see if your fingernail sinks into it. What type/ brand of primer did he use?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Laurie,
I side with Cruzer. Reducer is thinner. With out knowing brands/types of primer/paint etc. - call the paint supplier he got supplies from and get their opinion (they will know compatibility issues). Do a test in an inconspicuous area.
Other advice - Put a sign on door (got a paint booth?) to "not enter" you won't want a curious person entering and kicking up dust (past experience). Careful of dragging the hose over the surfaces. Stop at napa and a box of nitryl (not sure of spelling - a chemical resistant plastic similar to laytex) gloves to reduce skin exposure to chemicals. Just trying to help!
Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Be careful about time and what type of primers your using too. Depending on what kind of primer your using (expoxy, primer surfacer/ sealant) you may run in to different problems. I followed a certain mfg. recommendation once and had nothing but problems. Some primers won't stop your base/clear from attacking the bodywork underneath and will re-activate some of the solvents in the primer coats. Send me a personal and we can talk.

Dave

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He sanded the primer, and said it worked out beautifully. I don't know the type he used, however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts